In this post-Memorial Day edition of the White Sox Minor League News and Notes, OF Luis Robert officially inks his contract with the White Sox, RHP Lucas Giolito throws a no-hitter and RHP Alec Hansen K’s 15 batters. In addition, we will get you caught up on the happenings, news, notes and transactions regarding the White Sox minor leaguers and affiliates.
The Robert signing became official over the weekend as he was introduced to the press and threw out the first pitch before Saturday’s game. The 19-year-old Cuban signed for $26 million and became one of the top prospects in the White Sox organization. Robert will begin his time with the White Sox this summer as a member of their Dominican Summer League team, as he has not played organized baseball in nearly a year.
For White Sox Director of International Scouting Marco Paddy, the signing of Robert is the culmination of five years of scouting the five-tool centerfielder in tournaments around the world that began when Robert was only 14. Robert’s signing adds another highly rated prospect to the organization as he is already ranked as the 26th prospect in all of baseball.
During his brief stay in Chicago, Robert was able to spend some time with fellow Cuban Jose Abreu. Abreu stated that he looks forward to mentoring Robert and helping acclimate himself to the organization much like he has with Yoan Moncada, since Moncada joined the organization in December.
- Activated OF Jason Bourgeois and 2B Yoan Moncada from the disabled list
- White Sox recalled RHPs Juan Minaya, Tyler Danish and OF Adam Engel
- White Sox optioned Danish to Charlotte
- RHP Max Beatty assigned to Charlotte from Winston-Salem; Beatty was then assigned back to Winston-Salem a day later
- RHP Kelvis Valerio assigned to Charlotte from Winston-Salem
- OF Ryan Raburn traded to Washington Nationals organization
- RHP Luis Martinez assigned to Winston-Salem from Kannapolis
- 2B J.J. Franco assigned to Winston-Salem from Extended Spring Training (last with Great Falls)
- RHP Jake Johansen signed by White Sox and assigned to Winston-Salem
- Disabled LHP Andre Wheeler
- RHP Jake Elliott assigned to Kannapolis from Extended Spring Training (last with Great Falls)
- Activated RHP Victor Diaz from disabled list
- C Casey Schroeder assigned to Kannapolis from Winston-Salem
- RHP Blake Hickman assigned to Kannapolis from AZL White Sox
- RHP Chris Comito assigned to Extended Spring Training
For the Record
- Charlotte fell to third place in the International League South (25-24, 4.5 games out of first) after a 3-4 week that had a lot of excitement. The Knights dropped two of three to Syracuse, but the win was a seven-inning no-hitter thrown by Giolito. After dropping the first two of four against Buffalo that included a bullpen collapse that coughed up seven runs in the ninth inning, the Knights roared back for come-from-behind victories in games three and four highlighted by a Cody Asche pinch-hit, walk-off homer. Charlotte hits the road to face Syracuse and Buffalo in their home ballparks for the next six games before returning home for three against Durham.
- Following a dismal 1-4 week at Mobile that included a rain-out, Birmingham remains in last place in the Southern League North (16-33 overall, 13 games out). The Barons lone win of the week was highlighted by an eight-inning, six strikeout performance by RHP Spencer Adams, who has wins in his last two starts. Birmingham heads home for five games against Chattanooga before heading back on the road for five games at Tennessee.
- Winston-Salem remains in last place in the Carolina League Southern Division (17-35, 13 games out) following a 3-5 week. The Dash snapped a six-game losing streak that spanned games against Carolina, Myrtle Beach and Down East, before ending the week with three straight wins over Down East. LHP Tanner Banks improved his record to 5-1 as he received the benefit of four Dash homers in a 7-3 victory. The Dash head home for four games against Wilmington following a day off, before a brief three-game road trip to Carolina.
- Kannapolis currently sits tied for third-place in the South Atlantic Southern Division (26-22, three games out) following a 4-3 week highlighted by Hansen’s big strikeout performance. Hansen upped his record to 5-2 after posting two victories during the week that also included a 10 strikeout game. The Intimidators finish up the road trip versus Hickory before heading home to face Greensboro.
In Case You Missed It
- The Intimidators Hansen posted a career-high 15 strikeouts in an 8-1 win over Greensboro.
- The White Sox have been linked to several outfielders with the No. 11 pick in the upcoming MLB draft including Vanderbilt’s Jeren Kendall, Virginia’s Adam Haseley and Kentucky prep star Jo Adell. Our own James Fox recently profiled Kendall.
- Raburn was traded to the Washington Nationals organization.
- Moncada was activated after brief disabled list stay that included some social media excitement after he posted a picture of himself in Chicago while he visited a doctor.
- Robert was added to the top prospect list by MLB Pipeline almost immediately after his signing became official.
- Following Giolito’s no-hitter, he was named the IL Pitcher of the Week.
- RHP Reynaldo Lopez was recently highlighted by the Charlotte Observer and the Daily Herald.
Want to know right away when we publish a new article? Type your email address in the box on the right-side bar (or at the bottom, if on a mobile device) and click the “create subscription” button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.