The Fire kicked off the 2013 preseason schedule with a 2-0 victory over Florida Gulf Coast University. Goals from Dominic Oduro and Daniel Paladini in the second of three thirty minute periods were enough to secure the win. Frank Klopas used three different line-ups over the course of the game and got a look at draft picks and trialists. Here are the line ups along with a few notes of interest…
GK Alec Kann
D Gonzalo Segares, Jalil Anibaba, Austin Berry, Logan Pause
M Wells Thompson, Jeff Larentowicz, Joel Lindpere, Alex
F Chris Rolfe, Sherjill MacDonald
GK Ian Joyce
D Hunter Jumper, Steven Kinney, Rauwshan McKenzie, Rich Balchan
M Trialist, Mike Videira, Daniel Paladini, Yazid Atouba
F Maicon Santos, Dominic Oduro
D Caleb Konstanski, Eric Robertson, McKenzie, John Gallagher
M Sam Archer, Videira, Paladini, Atouba
F Rolfe, Oduro
- Logan Pause got the start at right back. Expect him to get a long look at this position in camp with Larentowicz and Lindpere expected to carry the bulk of the playing time at center midfield.
- Two unnamed trialists saw action in the match. A goalkeeper and a midfielder who played on the right side.
- Superdraft pick Yazid Atouba was active and showed well for himself.
- Rich Balchan came into the match at right back in the second period.
- Steven Kinney got playing time at centerback. A position that he was looked at in training last season after returning from injury.
- Both Lindpere and Santos hit the post with shots in the first and second periods respectively.
- Tony Walls is no longer in camp and will likely be waived.
- Paolo Tornaghi did not play as he continued to recover from offseason finger surgery.
- The Fire’s next match is Wednesday against the Columbus Crew in Bradenton, Florida.