The Fire reserves dropped to 4-1-1 after a 2-0 defeat at the hands of the Colorado Rapids this morning at Toyota Park’s practice field. The starting line up for the Fire featured a few different looks. Here a few game notes including an interesting appearance by a familiar face:
- Pari Pantazaopoulos started the match at center back with Josip Mikulic and struggled mightily in the first half. The Fire’s open tryout winner was whistled for a foul in the box after taking down Quincy Amerikwa which resulted in a penalty kick for the first Rapids goal. He was beaten by Amerikwa again a few minutes later as the speedy Colorado forward got past him to feed Steve Emory for the second score. Pantazopoulos moved to left back in the second half.
- Mike Banner started the match at left back and moved into midfield in the second half. He could be the replacement for Gonzalo Segares in San Jose. Segares will be out of that game due to a one game yellow card accumulation suspension.
- Yamith Cuesta started at right back before moving to the middle in the second half.
- Both Fire Home Grown players Victor Pineda and Kellen Gulley were on the pitch in the second half. Pineda at right back and Gulley at forward in place of Cristian Nazirit.
- The Fire also played two guest players out of Terra Nova High in Pacifica, California. Twin brothers Paulo and Pedro Mendes were recommended to the team by former Fire forward and FSC studio host Eric Wynalda who was in attendance at the match. Wynalda is visiting with Frank Klopas and wanted to see the Mendes brothers in action. There apparently isn’t more to read into Wynalda’s visit for now.
Box ScoreChicago Fire 0 – 2 Colorado Rapids
Chicago Fire: Jon Conway; Mike Banner, Josip Mikulic (Victor Pineda 46’), Yamith Cuesta, Pari Pantazopoulos; Gabriel Ferrari (Pedro Mendes** 41’), Michael Videira, Baggio Husidic (Marcus Epps* 61’), Corben Bone; Cristian Nazarit (Kellen Gulley 65’), Orr Barouch (Paulo Mendes** 46’)
Substitutes Not Used: Alec Dufty, AJ Jeffries*
Colorado Rapids: Steward Ceus; Danny Earls, Scott Palguta, Michael Holody, Eddie Ababio; Joseph Nane (Dillon Serna* 77’), Quame Holder** (Davy Armstrong 62’), Ross LaBauex; Andre Akpan (Josh Janniere 71’), Quincy Amarikwa, Steven Emory
Substitutes Not Used: Chris Sharpe, Sterling Copeland
COL – Quincy Amirikwa (penalty kick) 13’
COL – Steven Emory (unassisted) 20’
COL – Danny Earls (Caution; Reckless Tackle) 51’
CHI – Michael Videira (Caution; Reckless Tackle) 53’
CHI – Paulo Mendes (Caution; Reckless Tackle) 77’