* * * * * * * * * * * *
Sister outlet ROADBLAZING.COM recently attended a Chicago first media drive for the newest version of the most fuel frugal large family hauler sold in the U.S.A.
Toyota’s Jennifer Greenfelder revealed we were the first journalists in the nation to actually drive production versions of the all new 2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, hot off the Princeton, Indiana press.
According to Product Planning Manager Adam Lovelady, the Hybrid take among the 4th generation Highlander is expected at 20% of total sales, a projected 100% uptake.
Highlights of the 2020 Highlander Hybrid:
- 4th generation of Highlander (XU70) now on 11% stiffer TNGA-K platform
- Best selling 8 or 7 passenger crossover sport utility vehicle sold in U.S.
- Priced from $38,200 (delivery excluded) – Highlander Hybrid LE FWD
- Shorter hexagonal grille, truck-style deep hood center valley, flared rear quarter panel, aligns with 2-Row Toyota RAV4
- Switch to DOHC inline-4 cylinder gas engine, supplemented by regenerative charging battery powering up to two electric traction motors
- 243 horsepower net
- 3500 lbs. towing
- -370 lbs v. outgoing Mk.3 V6 gas-electric hybrid Highander
- Combined estimated EPA fuel economy = 35 miles per gallon
- Combined estimated EPA fuel economy = +24% v. outgoing Mk. 3 V6 gas-electric hybrid.
- For the first time a front drive Highlander Hybrid will be offered rated at +1 mpg, costing -$1600 v. all-wheel drive
**CLICK HERE for MORE MOBILE TECHNOLOGY and VEHICLE REVIEWS / NEWS at our sister website, ROADBLAZING.COM**
SafetySense 2.0 Standard on 2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid:
- Fully adaptive cruise control, pedestrian and vehicle avoidance braking,
- Active lane keep assist, lane tracing
- Automatic headlamps and high beams
- Road sign recognition
- 12 supplemental restraint air bags
- Available blind spot warning & rear cross traffic braking
New Convenience Features available on 2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid:
- Up to 7.0″ multi-function gauge cluster TFT display
- 12.3″ tri-pane touch LCD media display (std. on Limited and Platinum trims)
- 10.0″ heads up display w/ traffic sign recognition
- Digital Rear View Mirror selectable when cargo obstructs rear window
- Predictive Efficient Drive (Navigation equipped models) makes smart adjustment to driver inputs
- 20% lighter power liftgate w/ approach activation
- Android Auto in addition to Apple Car Play & Alexa mobile phone projection
- Panorama power moon roof
- Better integrated running boards
- 2 x 110 VAC outlets
Roadblazing.com 2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid AWD First Drive Impressions:†
- 33 miles per gallon in suburban driving (last Roadblazing.com test of 2017 Highlander Hybrid AWD netted 27 mpg)
- 600 miles highway range
- Improved steering accuracy and brake pedal response over outgoing Mk.3 Highlander Hybrid
- Peppy enough for hurried hockey practice retrievals
- Extremely quiet cabin
- Solid door close thud
- +1 Front seat support and +1 2nd Row pitch owing to +2.36″ wheelbase
- High heels friendly running boards
- Configurations of huge configurable 12.3″ media display
- -1 Sunwash prone gauge cluster and media display
- -1 Less seamless electric to gas transition with new 4-cylinder engine
- -1 Minor side mirror whistle on windy day
- -1 Adults remain pinched by 3rd Row seating in a pinch
† Based upon 15 minute suburban surface road drive near Aurora, Illinois.
Type your email address in the box and click the “create subscription” button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Tags: 2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, all wheel drive, automotive review, driving impressions, hybrid three row crossover utility vehicle, images, manufacturer media event, Toyota Highlander Hybrid news