Three years ago I blogged about a pledge from Volvo, the Swedish auto manufacturer, that by this very year, 2020, no one would die in a new Volvo automobile. A Google search this morning failed to turn up any evidence that Volvo is still making that brag, even in this pandemic world of fewer drivers, fewer miles, and fewer accidents. I can’t find any evidence that there has been a fatality in a 2020 Volvo and death rate data takes years to compile but I am hoping, fingers crossed, that Volvo has been successful.
In that blog, way back three years ago (who remembers 2017?) I asked other entities to make pledges for 2020. And now it is time to see the results…
PLEDGES FOR 2020 THAT I ASKED FOR in 2017
- Pledge Request: The airline industry will promise to utilize artificial intelligence to devise a system in which no passenger traveling from Chicago, Illinois to Fairbanks, Alaska gets routed through Miami, Florida. Result: The airlines did us one better. They made sure almost no one would want to fly at all.
- Pledge Request: The recording industry will pledge that I recognize at least one song nominated for the Record of the Year Grammy. Result: Nope, though the nominated songs for this year aren’t out yet, I struck out on last year’s list. No surprise.
- Pledge Request: The Sox, Cubs, Bears, Bulls, and Blackhawks will each pledge not to be in Year 1 of a 5 Year Rebuilding Plan. Result: All was good in White Sox Land until Tony LaRussa came along. As for the rest? Why bother.
- Pledge Request: While the airlines are making pledges, how about a guarantee that there are no bumped passengers hauled off a plane by air marshalls, or better yet, no bumped passengers at all? Result: Who could have predicted hauling off passengers for their lack of mask etiquette?
- Pledge Request: The Democratic Party will pledge to have a viable Presidential Candidate. (I know this one is a b-i-g stretch!) Result: We did it! We did it! We did it!
- Pledge Request: Progressive Insurance and Toyota will pledge to swap Flo and Jan for a month. Just because it would be fun. Result: Flo is still hawking policies and Jan is still peddling cars–even in a pandemic, some things never change.
- Pledge Request: Brian Urlacher will promise to readopt the shaved head look so we can get rid of all the awful hair growth billboards along I-294. Result: Not as many billboards–perhaps as a result of Urlacher’s political views?
- Pledge Request: NBC will pledge that “Chicago Streets and Sanitation” will be the last show in it’s “Chicago” pantheon, and will return the streets of Chicago to the residents of Chicago. Result: NBC reportedly interested in giving “Chicago Pol”, a Lightfoot/Pritzker production, a weekly primetime slot.
- Pledge Request: Wisconsin will pledge no new shootings by 8-year-olds legally licensed to carry a weapon. Result: Wisconsin decides to import its underage shooters from Illinois.
- Pledge Request: Chip and Joanna, Jonathan and Drew, and all those House Hunters will promise to take a year-long sabbatical so my TV sets can take an HGTV sabbatical too! Result: Magnolia Network anyone?
So only the Democrats lived up to my pledge request–but that was a big one. What pledges do we want for two years from now? And what will come true?
Like what you read here? Add your name to our subscription list below. No spam, I promise!
Filed under: life style