Since Jerry Angelo is out as Bears General Manager, I would like to apply for his job. And if I were the Bears GM, besides signing Matt Forte to a long term deal and pushing for the retirement of jersey # 89 for Mike Ditka, this is what I would do……
1. Develop an offensive identity and scheme which will fit the Bears personnel, not the other way around.
2. Move Lance Louis to guard permanently, play Julius Peppers more in the ‘3 technique’ defensive tackle, find ways to get the tight ends more involved in the passing game, and blitz more on defense.
3. Replace the departed Mike Martz with Mike Tice as Offensive Coordinator and let him know I demand a balanced offensive attack to include audibles, more distribution of the ball to other players not named Forte, and more reps in practices for backup QBs. Then hire Jeremy Bates to replace QB coach Shane Day and have Bates pick up his football relationship with Jay Cutler from the time they worked together in Denver.
4. Allow Tice to bring in some of his own assistant coaches after firing Wide Receiver coach Darryl Drake and Running Back coach Tim Spencer. Promote TE coach Mike DeBord to Offensive Line coach and continue to have him work with the young offensive line and tight ends, especially in the inside run game and pass protection. Also, add former Bear Tom Thayer as an offensive line consultant.
5. Show the door to the following players: Marion Barber, Chris Williams, Frank Omiyale, Roy Williams, Caleb Hanie, Matt Toeaina, Anthony Adams, Major Wright, Zack Bowman, Corey Wootton, Levi Horn, Stephen Paea, Ricky Henry, Max Komar, and Brandon Meriweather.
6. Resign Tim Jennings, Craig Steltz, Corey Graham, Josh McCown, Kahlil Bell, Amobi Okoye, Israel Idonije, and Special Teams Coordinator Dave Toub. Give a Toub a 5-year contract with a major bump in salary, give him more say in personnel decisions, and name Toub assistant head coach and head coach ‘in waiting’.
7. Look to draft or acquire the following: two quality backup linebackers, a ‘shut down’ cornerback, a ‘big, go- to’ wide receiver, ‘push rush specialist’ defensive end, backup center able to play guard, and a blitzing linebacker.
8. Bring in more competition in training camp, hit more in camp, and get rid of the “Camp Cupcake” atmosphere at camp, practice, and in the locker room.
9. Demand new turf be in place at Soldier Field and finally say goodbye to the Kentucky Blue (Mud) Grass.
10. Bring back the Honey Bears, especially since the Bears haven’t won a Super Bowl since they were disbanded after the 1985 season.
Tags: '3 technique', 'push rush specialist' defensives end, 2nd year option, a 'big, a 'shut down' cornerback, a"Camp Cupcake", Amobi Okoye, and Special Teams Coordinator Dave Toub. 5-year contract, Anthony Adams, assistant coaches, assistant head coach, audibles, backup center able to play guard, backup QBs, balanced offensive attack, ball distribution, Bears General Manager, Bears GM, Bears personnel, blitz, blitzing linebacker, Brandon Meriweather, Caleb Hanie, camp, Chris Williams, competition, Corey Graham, Corey Wootton, Craig Steltz, Darryl Drake, defense, defensive tackle, Denver, draft, fire, Frank Omiyale, go-to' wide receiver, head coach 'in waiting', in practices, inside run game, Israel Idonije, Jeremy Bates, Jerry Angelo, Josh McCown, Julius Peppers, Kahlil Bell, Lance Louis, Levi Horn, Lovie Smith, Major Wright, Marion Barber, Matt Toeaina, Max Komar, Mike DeBord, Mike Ditka, Mike Martz, Mike Tice, more reps, Offensive Coordinator, offensive identity, offensive line, OL coach, one-year contract, pass protection, passing game, personnel decisions, RB coach, Resign, retire # 89, Ricky Henry, Roy Williams, scheme, Shane Day, Stephen Paea, TE coach, tight ends, Tim Jennings, Tim Spencer, training camp, two quality backup linebackers, WR coach, Zack Bowman