The regular season is underway in baseball. I’ll still be giving you news and note updates, but they won’t always be Wednesdays and we’ll take some weeks off. But don’t worry I’m not going anywhere (wait, you weren’t worried? I was hoping you would be a bit worried) anyway, lets get to the news.
Albert Almora Jr. made an unbelievable home run saving catch to preserve the Cubs first win on Tuesday night. Tuesday also happened to be the birthday of Albert’s mom. So he dedicated his home run saving catch to her. As the slick centerfielder put it: “I didn’t hit you one, but I robbed you one.” Thanks Albert for making all of us look like ungrateful kids.
Justin Grimm missed Sunday’s season opener due to the death of his Grandfather. Grimm was back on Tuesday and warmed up but didn’t appear in the game. Justin tweeted a tribute to his grandfather on Monday.
Simply, a good man, who lived a good life around the people he loved! He taught me a whole lot… https://t.co/QusxvMmQnb
— Justin Grimm (@GrimmReaper_52) April 3, 2017
I speak for all of Cubs Den when I offer our condolences to the Grimm family.
There was a bit of controversy on Sunday night over the advertisements behind home plate at Busch Stadium. Javy Baez said he lost sight of a ground ball as it blended in with a white advertising sign behind the backstop. Major League Baseball has asked the Cardinals to change the sign for future games. The Cardinals have agreed and changed the signage to blue or navy colors. Now if only they would switch Dexter Fowler back to blue or navy from red.
The Cubs home opener is this Monday and fans are going to see some changes at Wrigley Field. Most obvious is the fact the bullpens have been moved from foul territory to a recently contructed area beneath the bleachers. Those hoping for more foul territory will be disappointed as additional seating has been installed where the pens once were.
- The Cubs also continue to offer new food options including sandwiches from local barbecue restaurant Pork and Mindy’s.
- Additionally, a plaza outside the stadium will feature a Starbucks perfect for future clandestine meetings with baseball executives. Finally, as if there weren’t enough reasons already to avoid driving to Wrigley, surge pricing for parking meters on game days has been introduced.
A quick update on last week’s News and Notes article. Former Cub Clayton Richard made his season debut for the Padres Tuesday. How did Clayton fare against the mighty LA Dodgers lineup? Well as everyone expected, Richard threw 8 shutout innings in the 4-0 San Diego win. I look forward to Trevor Cahill’s no-hitter at Dodger Stadium Wednesday night.
First Pitch and 7th Inning Stretch Lineup
- David Ross will throw out the first pitch before the Cubs get their World Series rings on April 12th.
- The Ricketts family will throw out the first pitch before the home opener.
- Billy Williams, Ferguson Jenkins, and Ryne Sandberg will all sing the opening seventh inning stretch this homestand.
- Ross will sing the 7th inning stretch on April 12.
Speaking of Ross, he did this on Monday night.
— Official DWTS (@DancingABC) April 4, 2017
Which prompted Anthony Rizzo to say this.
— Anthony Rizzo (@ARizzo44) April 4, 2017
Personally if I was Ross all I would say is this.