Two rainouts (Iowa and Kane County) means an early recap today…
Javier Baez went with a heavier bat today according to the Daytona announcers and the results were pretty immediate. I don’t know if it’s to slow him down a bit and let him see that he doesn’t need to swing that hard on every pitch to make solid contact. Who knows? Whatever the reason, it seemed to work for today. Thanks to @mattmettler for the video and some first hand accounts of the game. Give him a follow if you’re on Twitter.
On to the recaps…
Iowa game was postponed.
- LHP Eric Jokisch was masterful today. The Huntsville batters tried to wait him out and be patient in their approach, but Jokisch made them pay by throwing strike after strike. He put the Huntsville batters behind early and often with called strikes and then put them away once he was ahead. He went 6 strong, scoreless innings allowing just 3 hits, walking none and striking out 7. Jokisch is 2-1 with a 1.00 ERA on the season.
- LHP Zac Rosscup kept it going with 2 scoreless innings, although he didn’t strike anyone out. Rosscup has a 1.29 ERA and has shown an ability to miss bats.
- Tremendous day for Arismendy Alcantara as he went 1 for 1 with 3 walks and 4 stolen bases. The three walks gave him 13 in his last 98 PAs — an interesting trend considering he had walked just 12 times in the previous 313 PAs. The Smokies were very disciplined in general, drawing 7 walks overall.
- 3B Christian Villanueva was the other star, going 1 for 3 with a big 3-run HR, his first of the year. He also walked. Villanueva seems to be emerging from an early season slump.
This one goes to 11. Just a tremendous day for Daytona all-around. It started with great pitching performances and an incredibly disciplined approach at the plate (11 walks) — and then those bats came to life. Stephen Bruno extended his hitting streak to 11.
- Zeke DeVoss was on a whopping 6 times with a double, 3 walks, an HBP, and also got on on an error. He stole his 6th base of the season.
- Great to see Taiwan Easterling join the walk party. Normally an aggressive hitter, he drew 3 free passes today to go with a double, an RBI, and 2 runs scored.
- Javier Baez had a big 3 hit day and though he didn’t walk, did work the count a bit better today and seemed to stay more within himself overall. He had 2 singles and a long HR over the CF wall today. He did strikeout but it was actually a good AB, where he battled the pitcher to a 2-2 count and fouled off a few pitches before going down. I’ll take that kind of strikeout from Baez.
- John Andreoli was hitless but drew 3 walks, including one with the bases loaded. He drove in a second run with a sac fly.
- It was almost a rare hitless day by Stephen Bruno as he struggled a bit with the curveball according to the Daytona announcers, but he singled in his last PA to extend his hitting streak to 11.
- When Dustin Geiger gets hot, he doesn’t go halfway. He has a 10 game hitting streak and is hitting .390 in that span. Another big day for the Cubs 3B-1B prospect as he went 3 for 5 with a HR and 4 RBIs. He also scored 2 runs.
- 3B Ben Carhart had 2 singles and 2 RBI
Kane County game was postponed…
Filed under: Daily Cubs Minors Recap