This is my last post about Michael Bourn. Promise.
He has signed with the Indians for 4 years and $48M. It also contains a vesting option for a 5th year that will pay him another $12M, potentially making this a 5 year $60M deal. That option vests if he reaches 550 PAs in the 4th year of the contract, something he should have no problem doing if he’s healthy.
According to a Cubs Den poll, only 10% of readers would not wanted the Cubs to match that deal. The other 90% didn’t want to sign him or would only sign him if it were a short term deal.
Among other things the Cubs have made it clear that they value that 2nd round pick highly which, if my off-the-cuff calculations are correct, now stands as the 43rd pick. The Indians had already given up their 2nd round pick for Nick Swisher, so they only needed to give up their 3rd pick, which is actually a competitive balance pick between the 2nd and 3rd round.
Filed under: Uncategorized