The CTA on Monday will open the new southbound platform at the Wilson Red Line station, marking the beginning of Phase 2 of the three-year, $203 million project.
Red Line service frequency with remain the same, but southbound trains will board on the new platform. Purple Line service and frequency also will remain the same, and southbound trains will continue to make stops at Wilson and Sheridan during morning rush only. Purple Line Express trains will no longer stop at Addison during morning rush periods.
The number of entrances available to customers at Wilson will be doubled to increase customer convenience during the construction period, according to the CTA:
- Existing entrance on Broadway stays open.
- Existing auxiliary entrance on south side of Wilson Avenue remains open.
- New temporary entrance opens on north side of Wilson Avenue.
- New temporary entrance opens on south side of Wilson Avenue, just west of existing auxiliary entrance; will be staffed with CTA customer assistant.
Southbound Red and Purple Line Express customers will begin using a brand new, noticeably modern and larger platform:
- The southbound platform will be separate from the northbound platform and is most easily accessed via the new temporary entrances on Wilson.
- A temporary enclosed pedestrian bridge will connect the northbound to the southbound platforms for customers making transfers.
- New security cameras and lighting are being installed at the temporary entrances and exits.
Northbound customers will use existing platform, best accessed via the main Wilson entrances.
This Phase 2 of the project will last till fall of this year, when the existing Wilson Ave. and Gerber entrances will be closed, demolition and reconstruction of Track #3 (NB Red) will commence; and construction of new northbound shared platform begins.
If you like this post, please like my Facebook page, and follow me on Twitter and Instagram. And, never miss a post! Subscribe now to receive CTA Tattler via email. Type your email address in the box and click the “create subscription” button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.