Of course, the biggest CTA news story for 2013 was the botched rollout of the new Ventra card fare payment system.
CTA customers didn’t start actually using the cards till August, but the mess started earlier in the year.
And then came the actual rollout.
- First, users got emails about how to activate their new Ventra cards many weeks before they got the actual card. This led to a lot of frustration and head scratching.
- Then there were reports of the wrong debit card being charged, and tales of double-charging – which the CTA denied.
- By October, when the rollout was supposed to be in full swing, it was obvious there were big problems, and the CTA postponed a deadline for mag stripe card refills.
- October also is when big problems with Ventra customer service surfaced. The CTA and Ventra didn’t really start to get a handle on the problem until mid-November.
- Finally, the last big switchover deadline of Nov. 15 was postponed indefinitely due to all the problems.