The first big CTA Ventra card deadline is upon us. On Monday, Oct. 7, these changes go into effect:
- Rail station vending machines will no longer sell CTA magnetic stripe stored value cards or magnetic stripe period passes.
- Riders will be able to continue to reload their magnetic stripe fare cards with stored value until Monday, Nov. 15.
Customers may be able to purchase magnetic stripe period passes at retail locations that still have them in stock.
- Chicago Card customers will no longer be able to reload their cards at CTA rail station vending machines. Registered Chicago Card customers are continuing to transition to Ventra. New Ventra Cards are on their way to these customers via mail. Registered Chicago Card customers are encouraged to reload sufficient value on their cards prior to Monday (today!) until their new Ventra Cards arrive and are activated.
- Chicago Card Plus customers are continuing totransition to Ventra. Though you may not have gotten your Ventra card yet, Chicago Card Plus customers can continue to auto-load their Chicago Card Plus accounts until their Ventra Cards arrive and are activated.
- Pace will begin offering a new 30-day premium pass for customers using Ventra.
And remember, riders can also use their contactless personal credit or debit cards to pay for fares by adding transit value or period passes to their cards at Ventra vending machines. Customers can then tap the card to board buses and trains, which entitles them to 25-cent transfers (and free Pace local transfers within designated areas) and a second free transfer within two-hours after initiating the trip.
If you don’t add value to your personal credit or debit card at a Ventra machine, you will be charged the full fare every time – no 25-cent transfers.
Be sure to take your debit/credit card out of your wallet or purse and touch it to the reader so the proper card is charged.
Hey! Do you have Gmail and subscribe to my blog? If so, make sure you go into your “promotions” box and drag one of my emails over to your “primary” box. That way, you’ll never miss one of my posts! View a video.
Also, subscribe now if you haven’t yet. Type your email address in the box and click the “create subscription” button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.