The CTA’s much-loved Holiday Train continues this weekend on the most heavily traveled Red Line, with a Purple interlude on Saturday.
The festivities will start from Howard Street Friday at 3:13 p.m., heading south to arrive at 95th/Dan Ryan at around 4:24. It will then head back north at 4:48 from 95th Street. Loop workers can expect Santa to arrive at Jackson by 5:20 p.m. or so. It will arrive back at Howard at around 6 p.m. View Friday’s detailed schedule.
Special note: My experience is you can pretty much expect the train to be delayed, due to kids and strollers making their way on and off the train slowly. I was trying to get the Holiday home tonight on the Red Line, but it was anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes behind the posted schedule. But listen people – it’s the Holiday Train. No bah humbugs allowed!
Saturday will be a long day for Santa and his elves, starting with a photo session from 11:40 a.m. to 12:20 p.m. at Howard. Then, according to Saturday’s detailed schedule:
- The train will begin by making one trip from Howard to 95th. This runs from 12:37 to 1:47 p.m.
- Santa will stop for a photo opp at 95th/Dan Ryan from 2:10 to 2:50 p.m.
- The train will make one trip from 95th to Howard as a Red Line train (from 3:01 to 4:12 p.m.). Then it will continue to Linden as a Purple Line shuttle train from 4:16 to 4:32 p.m.
- Another photo session will commence at Linden from 4:45 to 5:30 p.m.
- The train will make one trip from Linden to Howard as a Purple Line shuttle train (from 5:44 to 6 p.m.), then continue to 95th as a Red Line train (from 6:01 to 7:11).
- The train will make one last trip, then, from 95th to Howard (from 7:26 to 8:37 p.m.)
Dig that crazy, Santa Claus!