New schedules and service changes go into effect today under the CTA plan to reduce decrowding, but CTA riders will feel the real impact Monday during their commutes.
The CTA positions the plan as the “equivalent of $16 million in added service to bus and rail routes that are used by more than 76 percent of CTA’s customers – and comes at no additional cost to taxpayers and riders.”
But customers who use the No. 11 Lincoln have decried the “devastating impact on the quality of life of the Lincoln Square, North Center, Roscoe Village, and Lincoln Park neighbors and neighborhoods” that cutting the route’s segment from Fullerton “L” station to the Western Brown Line stop will have. That’s what one rider wrote to me in an email.
The plan discontinues service on what the CTA calls “12 duplicative or low ridership routes,” and service on four bus route segments, though not eliminating those entire routes. These include the abovementioned segment of the No. 11.
A total of 17 rail trips have been added, most of them on the busiest lines — the Red, Brown and Blue. The CTA is hoping to reduce the number of passengers on the crowded rush hour routes from more than 90 to 70-75.
- On the Red Line, there two added trips in the AM rush, and three in the PM.
- On the Blue Line, there are three trips in the AM rush, and one extra in the PM.
- On the Brown Line, there are two extra trip in the AM, and no changes in the PM.
- On the Purple, Orange and Green lines, there is one extra trip on each line for both the AM and PM rush periods.
The CTA also is improving frequency weekdays in off-peak hours:
- Red Line from 8 ½ to 7 ½ minutes during mid-day and early evening runs.
- Brown Line from 10 to 7 ½ minutes during the mid-day.
- Orange Line from 10 to 8 ½ minutes during the mid-day.
Finally, frequency will rise on weekends too:
- Red Line from 7-10 to 5-7 ½ minutes on Saturday; plus 8-car trains will run until 11 p.m. Sunday.
- Brown Line from 10 to 7 ½ minutes on Saturday.
- Blue Line from 7 ½ -12 to 5-7 ½ minutes on Saturday; and from 10-12 to 6-7 ½ minutes on Sunday.
Bus route changes
Following is a CTA chart showing bus service changes. Routes in BOLD will get more service. Routes marked with an asterisk will have extended service hours. Find your particular bus route from the CTA website.