We’ve heard it a million times, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But, when the school bus comes at 6:30, you’re trying to get kids- and yourself- ready and out the door, making a hot breakfast seems downright laughable. Flipping pancakes before I’ve had a cup of coffee isn’t my favorite way to start the day.
That’s why I love this puffed pear pancake! Sure, it takes 20-25 minutes to cook, but I don’t have to do anything…it’s in the oven while everyone is getting ready. Don’t think you have a spare 1/2 hour? Here’s how it works…
- roll out of bed and stumble into the kitchen
- put a cast iron skillet in oven (or save 10 seconds and do it the night before)
- preheat oven to 450
- turn on coffee maker
- make batter (or save 5 min and make it the night before)
- add 2 tbsp butter to hot pan
- slice pear & toss with cinnamon/sugar
- add to pan and bake 20-25 min
- go back to bed for 20-25 min…or be productive…whichever works for your morning
By the time the timer goes off, coffee is ready, and a hot breakfast is good to go. Top pancake slices with a couple spoonfuls of Greek yogurt for a little extra protein.
Although the recipe calls for pears, I often substitute apples…whatever happens to be in the house.
Here’s how you make it…
3/4 c. milk
3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 ripe pear or apple, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp. butter
- Place a 12-inch oven-safe skillet (I use a cast iron) in oven while preheating oven to 450
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, flour, vanilla, and salt until smooth (can be done the night before)
- In a separate bowl, toss the pear/apple with the sugar and cinnamon
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and add the butter, swirling until it is melted
- Arrange the pears/apples in a single layer in the skillet and pour batter over top
- Return to skillet to the oven and bake 20-25 minutes or until puffed and golden
- Top with Greek yogurt and fresh berries or additional pear/apple slices
Real food, made fast.
Ready to learn more simple ways to live a healthier lifestyle? Excited to hear about cool small shops & see if my weekly Pinterest task was a success or fail?
Add your email to the “Subscribe By Email” box on the right and you’ll be notified every time there’s a new post!
More changes are coming to the Favor the Earth/Conveniently Green Facebook page; “Like” my page so you don’t miss any news.
- Want to know how the Shop Small challenge started? Find out here
- Wish you could have healthy lifestyle tips, recipes, videos, and sustainable products delivered right to you? Click here.
- Want to know how the Pinterest Challenge (Pin 52) stared? Click here.
- Want to try the Pin 52 Challenge projects & recipes I’ve completed? Follow the Pin 52: Accomplished board here.
- Shop fabulous Favor the Earth sustainable gifts, skin care, & decor here. It’s where green living begins.