Even though Chicago Cub fans seem to having bragging rights when it comes to their team, the neighborhood and even their recent reign as World Champions, one thing that even the most loyal fans had to accept is that the southside White Sox had better food choices.
Many fans at Wrigley have come to accept a hot dog–often served in a soggy bun–and a $10 domestic beer as game fare.
This year, the Cubs and hospitality partner Levy have beefed up their menu focusing on freshly prepared, chef-driven menu items featuring house-smoked short ribs and pork shoulder; house-made pickles, chips, slaws and condiments; and creative twists on classic Chicago flavors.
I’ll be trying the Buona Italian Beef sandwich complete with seat service today–perfect warm up for a snowy day. Here’s the rest of their lineup:
- Smoked Bone-In Short Rib: Two pounds of premium-cut short rib smoked for 12 hours, served with house-made pickles, coleslaw and sliced bread. Limited quantities available in concessions per game, so fans will want to act fast to get a taste of this one.
- Chick-Ago Sandwich: Pickle-brined breaded chicken thighs topped with tempura sport peppers, vine ripe tomatoes and dill aioli served on an onion roll and sprinkled with celery salt.
- Polk Street Breaded Pork Shoulder: House-smoked and breaded pork shoulder topped with house-made pickles and creamy Dijon served on a toasted telera roll.
- Cheesy Beef Sandwich: Shaved beef mixed with creamy white cheddar cheese and topped with grilled shishito peppers, served on a toasted New England bun.
- Chicken Tinga Tacos: Spicy shredded chicken topped with tangy Wrigley slaw, cilantro and crumbled queso fresco.
- Beef Barbacoa Tacos: Tender braised beef topped with watermelon salsa, cilantro and crumbled queso fresco.
- Aged Cheddar Burger: Seasoned beef patty topped with aged cheddar, house-made tomato aioli, arugula and house-made pickles.
- Loaded Footlong Hot Dog: A footlong Vienna Beef dog topped with house-made dill aioli, diced sport peppers and crushed kettle chips debuts alongside the classic chili and cheese topped offering.
- Loaded Fries: Garlic and parmesan or buffalo and blue cheese topped fries.
- Roasted Cauliflower Sandwich: Roasted cauliflower topped with roasted red pepper pesto, garlicky garbanzo bean spread and baby spinach.
- Aloha Chicken Sandwich: Grilled chicken breast topped with sweet chili glaze, Asian slaw and sautéed pineapple on toasted Hawaiian bread.
- Pork & Mindy’s: The local spot known for globally inspired sandwiches from Food Network Star Jeff Mauro will serve its signature dishes in several locations.
- Garrett Popcorn: Making its Wrigley Field debut, the sweet and savory Chicago classic will be available to fans in a variety of locations.
- Vienna Beef: The Chicago staple’s iconic hot dogs, Polish sausages and Wrigley Field Smokies will be served all around Wrigley Field.
- Hot Doug’s: Decadent, player-inspired sausages from the Chicago institution return on a rotating basis in the Budweiser Bleachers. This homestand includes the Bill Caudill, an Argentinian pork & bacon sausage with chimichurri and Swiss cheese; the Ken Rudolph, a Jamaican jerk pork sausage with cumin dijonnaise, smoked Gouda cheese and fried plantain chips and the Rick Reuschel, a spicy Vienna Beef sausage with jalapeño mustard, pepper jack cheese and crispy fried onions.
- Giordano’s: Chicago’s famous stuffed deep dish pizza returns to the Friendly Confines. A Wrigley Field exclusive pizza will be unveiled later this summer.
- Buona Beef: The original Italian Beef and Italian Sausage will be served around the ballpark.
- Chef Series: The fan-favorite Chef Series presented by Maker’s Mark will return starting in June. More details about the series will be available soon.
In additions, fully renovated concession stands and new cocktail and wine bars are open throughout the ballpark.
Subscribe to Chicago Eats by email
If you would like to keep in touch with what’s happening in Chicago, like us on Facebook or subscribe to Chicago Eats by email. To subscribe, type your email address in the box below and click the “create subscription” button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Filed under: Ballpark food