Today is the birthday of the great and iconic Dr. Seuss. It’s also Read Across America Day! Theodor Seuss Geisel was and still is a beloved American writer and literary genius. As we all know he is most well known for authoring popular children’s books. He has sold over 600 million copies of his children’s books and they have been translated into more than 20 languages. He is loved and admired across the world for his rhyming skills and his ability to reach children’s hearts. He was many things to people such as a teacher and a motivator. To honor him and Read Across America Day, here are 15 life lessons you can learn from Dr. Seuss. These never get old and can apply to any age. Whenever you’re feeling low or you can’t take another one of life’s blows, don’t be absurd just read these words (Yes, I love Dr. Seuss).
1. “Kid, you’ll move mountains!”
Big things are coming your way and you are strong enough to tackle them. No matter the size of the problem or issue; you will have the confidence to move them out of your way and succeed in your task.
2. “And will you succeed? Yes you will indeed! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)”
Believe in yourself. Think positive thoughts and positive things will come into your life as a result. The key is to never doubt yourself and allow negative energy to keep you from what is meant for you.
3. “Today I shall behave, as if this is the day I will be remembered.”
If you were to die tomorrow, how would you want people to remember you? Live as if someone would be giving your eulogy the next day.
4. “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.”
We are the master of our choices. No one else can make decisions for your life but you. Captain your life ship with the belief that you control it.
5. “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
My favorite quote on this list. Readers are leaders. Books are weapons and knowledge is power. Reading and opening up your mind to whole new worlds will take you to whole new worlds.
6. “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
Don’t make a mountain out of a molehill (did anyone else’s mom say this?). It is human nature to want to overthink things, but sometimes the answer is right in front of your face. It’s a saying for a reason.
7. “Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it’s a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.”
A quote from the man himself rather than from one of his books. His books are an escape into fantasy and fantasy helps you get better insight into yourself…sometimes more than the real world.
8. “If things start happening, don’t worry, don’t stew, just go right along and you’ll start happening too.”
Don’t fret over what you can’t change and go with the flow. Remember the previous Dr. Seuss lesson that you are the master of your choice? Instead of allowing unexpected things to overwhelm you, take charge. Go with the flow until you can start controlling the flow.
9. “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.”
Everything that happens in life is a lesson. A lesson that you can take the opportunity to learn from whether good or bad.
10. “Step with care and great tact, and remember that life’s a great balancing act.”
Tread lightly in this crazy journey we call life. Remember there is always give and take in life and it’s about balancing all the elements in your life that make it uniquely yours. Take care and understand there are consequences for all choices.
11. “A person’s a person, no matter how small.”
Don’t get a superiority complex in your life. Remember that people who don’t have the same ideals or morals or aren’t on the same journey as you are still people too. Their thoughts, ideas, and emotions count just as much as yours. Everyone deserves respect.
12. “Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.”
Don’t ever take yourself too seriously. Fun can be in every moment in your life. It doesn’t have to stop because it’s Monday or because the weekend hasn’t arrived yet. Remember to have fun and remember that it’s ok to have it more than once in a while.
13. “Why fit in when you were born to stand out?”
Is one of these things not like the other something you say to yourself all the time? Well, chill out. Who wants to be like everyone else…no one! That’s boring. Revel in being unique and own it.
14. “You are you. Now, isn’t that pleasant?”
Love yourself first and foremost. Take pride in all the things that make you you and say, “hey I’m alright.”
15. “Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment, until it becomes a memory.”
Moments are so fleeting. Sometimes at the time of the moment you really don’t know that you should cherish it more. Those lessons really don’t come until we are older and the moment has passed us by. Live in the moment.
What are some of your favorite Dr. Seuss quotes? Let me know! Sound off below! Follow me on Twitter @TheBookaholicBee for anything and everything about books!
Type your email address in the box and click the “create subscription” button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.