I'm Spiritual, Dammit

I am not a Doctor!

Here's a newsflash... I am not a Doctor, and I've never claimed to be one.  Titles I do feel comfortable with?  Mother.  Former Journalist turned Author.  Spiritual Warrior.  I write a blog where I express my "spiritual" opinion, and I give voice to stories that don't get main stream attention...What you do with that information is your choice.
Doctors For Patient Care Hold "Million Med March" To Capitol Hill
When we are faced with difficult situations I think it helps to have as much information as possible.  I know from working in the media for years that they feed on your fears, and go with the popular angles when telling a story.  So to you folks who are upset with me about my flu shot stance, this is my stance.  It doesn't have to be yours.

I like to give voice to the holistic point of view.  I'd also like to point out that the "popular" opinion at the time can often prove to be...um- not so popular down the road.  Some examples that come to mind?

1. My mother in law was given diet pills and speed when she was pregnant in 1969 so she wouldn't gain too much weight.

Good choice.

2. They used to treat the mentally ill by locking them up, physically beating the crap out of them, and feeding them slop.

Good choice.

We've come a long way since those days- thank God... but I also know that the media rarely gives voice to all sides of an argument.

When my Dad was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor, his "traditional" Doctors rolled their eyes at our wish to take him for Qi Gong treatments in addition to his regular chemo and radiation.  When traditional medicine ran out of ideas to stop the spread of cancer, we continued with the Qi Gong treatments.  His tumors shrunk significantly.  He still died from the cancer, but his alternative therapies extended his life.

I received a comment about a video I posted, saying the Doctor was a "quack."  Let me tell you something about "quacks".  When I took my baby to my old, traditional Doctor- (the same pediatrician who treated me as a child-) I expressed concerns about his acid reflux.  He looked at me and said,

"Lady- what you need is a stiff drink!  Go home and have a scotch..."

He was dead serious- and I was breast feeding.

Good choice.

So, just because you are an M.D.- it doesn't mean you know everything...and that goes for both sides of this flu shot argument.  I have no idea how this whole flu epidemic is going to pan out.  I know it's scary as hell.  I ran into a nurse friend of mine who said if I knew anyone who was pregnant to encourage them to get the swine flu vaccine immediately so that new born doesn't get the virus after delivery.  In the same day, I run into a Doctor friend of mine who works at one of the biggest hospitals in Chicago who says the vaccine was rushed- and the best thing to do is "wash your hands often and cover your cough.."

AHHHHHH!

Again- I am not a Doctor.  I'm just encouraging everyone to look at the possibility that we don't have all the answers yet.  And the best way to get answers is to keep asking questions, dammit!

Lil Spicy said:

WOW! Is this ever right on point!

joey said:

I have read your blog twice, and both times you mentioned how the mentally ill used to be treated. Is this a recurring theme, or do you have just so little to draw upon that you have to go to the same well again and again?

Jen Weigel said:

Hi Joey-
So it's a shame that out of the 75 blogs I've written (okay that number might be high) but almost daily since July 13th- and you've only read TWO- and you say I'm repeating info...
Yes- I feel a certain connection to the mentally ill because I was told I was Nellie Bly in a past life..
And don't I owe you a hug from the last time you criticized my blog? wish you would have come to blogapalooza- I was passing them out...

spicecakes69 said:

Thanks for being a voice of reason at this time of tempers flaring and boogers flyuing!!!

Here is an interesting link to the inner tubes - Dr. saying he will not vaccinate his kids (on FOX news of all places!!!)

hey joey - not the point of the column ... get over yourself.

John Sheehan said:

No, Ms. Weigel you are NOT a doctor. You are a blogger who writes about 'spiritual' matters. (For that matter, you are neither an ordained minister, rabbi, imam nor a practicing medicine woman either but it's your blog, nonetheless) That is precisely what makes if hard to understand why you would be offering unqualified medical advice to your readers at a period conducive to panic during a world-wide influenza pandemic.

Jen Weigel said:

John- I am hired to write my opinions about everything from Michael Jackson's death to the swine flu. I find it hard to believe that ANYONE would decide on medical advice solely from little ole me- but I do feel it's important to get all the opinions on the table. This is America last I checked.... and if you don't like it- just don't read my blog. Pretty simple to rectify, don't you think??

Lil Spicy said:

I actually appreciate a viewpoint from someone who has no incentive to lie and can question what the government actors feed the main stream media. I don't trust the government to tell the truth and history has shown that they get things wrong quite often....whether by mistake, or deliberately.

One need not have an MD degree to have information that is useful to those who prefer to "question authority." I don't have a medical degree myself, but I can do my own research and come to my own conclusions based upon what I find out there. You can ask 50 MD's what they think about the vaccine and you'll get 50 different answers. They are just guessing themselves. I say back off and let those who have a voice speak to those who have an open ear.....isn't that the American way??

Jen Weigel said:

thanks for saying what I was thinking Lil Spicy!!

John Sheehan said:

"...and if you don't like it- just don't read my blog."
Really? That is your response to criticism? 'Just go away'?

Jen Weigel said:

My response to criticism is this is America, and we all welcome to our opinion.. but i am not out to try and sway your opinion John. I have enough readers who are on a spiritual path that enjoy my writing. There are 100 plus bloggers here on Chicagonow- so I'm sure you can find plenty of folks who either agree with you, or who want to "duke it out.."
Have a great day..

elena said:

I think that everyone reading this blog is an adult. As such, we should be equipped to make our own decisions. We should be able to receive and consider other people's opinions, including those that are contrary to our own, and decide what to do on our own. We should be adult about our responses to opinions with which we don't agree. We shouldn't attack people who have opinions that oppose ours. We should be smart enough to take opinions of lay people and advice from our own doctors, mixed in with our own research if deemed necessary, and make an informed decision based on our personal particular situations. We shouldn't judge others based on their personal opinions and decisions and we shouldn't attack people who are different than we are.
Chill out world!
I'll take a hug any day of the week.

elly said:

What's with all the negativity? IT'S A BLOG!!! I agree that if you don't like it, just DON'T read it. But I guess some people can't live without criticizing others.

Jen is offering her opinion and sharing her experiences. Haven't you ever learned from someone else's experience? It's way better than finding something out the hard way. And you should always do your own research before making decisions, especially relating to medicine. I'm all for non-traditional methods that seem to work, and I like getting advice from others.

Jen is not causing any harm by sharing her point of view.

p.s. Oh, and that's why doctors PRACTICE medicine, because they're just practicing on us!