On Down The Line

Weekly Vitriol: Screw Navy

niumatalolo.jpg

How can you not hate this face?

I like "Anchors Aweigh".  It's catchy.  There, that's everything I like about playing Navy.  And even then, I don't want to hear the song more than once or twice in a game.

Every year, like terrible, horrifying clockwork, the story repeats itself.  "Navy is soooooo awesome?  Do you know what Navy did for us once, way back during WWII?"  Yeah, I got it.  I got it the first thousand times somebody told me about it too.  In the Notre Dame world, that story is hard to avoid.  But you know what we gave them in return for that?  Profitability.  Navy gets to play us every year for as long as they want.  And they sure as hell turn that into some profit.  Sure, Notre Dame enjoys playing in the Meadowlands, and I'm sure as hell making the trip over there to Ireland, but you know who's making bank off of those games?  The Navy is.  They're turning their football players into small piles of dollar signs just like all the rest of the FBS schools in the world, and their game against Notre Dame every year is a major factor in them being in the black.  In my cold, unfeeling opinion, they've already gotten their thanks by being allowed to come and play against us.  They get money, they get to be a football independent, and that should be it.  "But they're serving our country!" you say.  Yes, they are.  Because they chose to.  In the Navy.  As commissioned officers.  It's true, men and women currently returning from service are vastly under appreciated in this country, almost to a Viet Nam-esque level.  The toll of war is a terrible, awful thing.  Next time you come across a veteran, stop and thank them for what they've given to this country.  But as for the Naval Academy students, who have not served overseas or at all yet, and who are currently more concerned with "Totally getting the new plebes to learn some respect, bro", well they can wait before I'm pouring out any undue adulation.

I will admit, though, there are three major factors compounding my feelings towards Navy:

1. I'm kind of an army guy:  One of my best friends?  Apache Pilot for the army.  Drinking buddies from college?  Army guys (and ladies).  Captain of my high school soccer team and role model?  Went to West Point.  Favorite Military movie?  Saving Private Ryan.  Least favorite?  Annapolis.  You get the picture.

2. Charlie Weis: No one fought harder to get everyone to bow down and kiss the feet of each and every midshipman than Weis did.  He essentially told his team and the entire fanbase, "Hey, look, these guys?  They're intrinsically better than us, and they deserve our respect as such".    Weis had four years of hardcore naval love ingrained into his psyche as a student, so naturally he had to up it to even more heightened levels as a coach.  Well, surprise, surprise, his teams went out and played like they were lining up against 11 Jesuses and didn't want to hit them too hard lest the stigmata start gushing.  Two losses in three years and Weis  is thankfully no longer stalking our sidelines and softening up our team.  The first comment under this video reads "Teams like Miami, USC and Ohio State should watch this video, and take notes on what class and sportsmanship are all about."  Also you could take notes on losing, assuming the outcome of a game before it's played, and demoralizing your team to get them to give up on you as a coach.

3. Ken Niumatalolo:  I like Paul Johnson.  I respected Paul Johnson.  Paul Johnson is a great guy who loves the option and plays smashmouth football.  Ken Niumatalolo is a douchebag.  He's a hothead, and most definitely coaches his players to play dirty.  Navy has always cut-blocked and had hard-nosed players, sure, but under Niumatalolo they're averaging over a personal foul per game.  Need more proof?

So I say again: Screw Navy.  Let's beat them, grind them into a pulp, run up the score, then hand them their check.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out guys.  I hope you have something entertaining picked out for the bus ride home.

Follow On Down The Line on Twitter @ OnDownTheLineND and on Facebook

zugbugfshr said:

You have shit for brains. Screw you.

navy21 said:

Great article.I'm going to print out a copy and wipe my ass with it. Get a clue about your facts before you write something so stupid. Maybe one of these yrs your team will win another bowl game.

Bill Bullock said:

um maybe i am simply guilty of being as stupid as justin is (there i've already given you something to retort on, go me!), but what facts has he not gotten right? did you mean to say "get a clue about your opinions before you write something so stupid?" if so, I want you to know that doesn't really make any sense. try harder.
also, it would be really awesome if we could win another bowl game. I'd be down for that. thanks for the well wishes.

USNA Ancient '60 said:

no maybe about it ... stupid and ignorant ! oh, and you'll have to be invited to one first ! Most of ND is worthy of respec, but they really let their standards down with you !

Navy1984 said:

Well, it's honest, I can give you that. I served with a lot of Domers in the Navy - mostly good guys - but the abuse they dished out when ND was contending for national titles about "the streak" turned me from a Notre Dame supporter to an absolute Notre Dame hater.

Spare me the "Navy makes all kinds of money off Notre Dame" spiel. We are forced to play a "home" game against ND at a pro stadium because ND dictates it. The friendly confines of Navy-Marine Corps Memorial don't generate enough revenue for the high and mighty Irish to play us there.

Notre Dame has cashed in as much on the belief in the myth that somehow they are able to keep academic standards high and still be competitive for a National Title. ROFLMAO.

It's crap. I wouldn't give a rat's ass if we never played Notre Dame again, and the "debt" that Notre Dame owed the Navy - not USNA - was repaid a long time ago. Of course, there might not be a Notre Dame, if the Navy hadn't kept the place open - but then we wouldn't have to deal with the legion of jerkwad subway alumni whose only affiliation with the school is that they happen to be Catholic. Maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing had that happened, but it didn't.

Maybe most of the kids at Navy haven't served a day in the Fleet or Marine Corps, but some actually have, and there is hell of a lot better chance that they will graduate and do something meaningful for the good of the nation than the average Domer grad.

Here's to two wins in a row for Navy.

USNavySailor said:

Aren't you just a shining example of ND alum? Hasn't the school threatened to revoke your degreee? Did you earn a degree? Does ND offer degrees in "moron"? I'll bet that you are near the top of their short list of embarrasing mistakes who went to that proud school. If you have Army friends as you state then you should know better than to trash Navy. We've been kickin' their ass too!

Bill Bullock said:

Justin? a typical ND grad? HAHAHAHAHahahahaha. no, sir. he earned his degree in anthropology and gender studies. absolutely nothing typical about that whatsoever. Also, I think that the vast majority of the editors at ODTL (and I definitely use the term editor loosely) would think it nothing but funny and awesome if the administration at ND utimately thought it a mistake to admit us as students. let's be real, it probably was.

Joe Cronin said:

I'm confused as to how an opinion piece is crap because of the "facts." Isn't the whole point of having opinions that different inferences and conclusions may be drawn from the same set of facts?

Even, then, changing the facts doesn't always matter. For instance, I see a car that I say has an ugly color. I believe that color is purple. You say, "screw you, that color is totally midnight blue!" I respond, "Whatever, it's still ugly."

As long as the facts warrant a conclusion that is reasonable, I think it's best that a responder assert his or her opinion rather than resorting to thinly-veiled ad hominem attacks suggesting Justin has the "facts" all wrong. There is no moral high-ground here. Everyone in this thread, myself included, is a jerk.

Bill Bullock said:

Yeah. you kind of are a jerk, joe. sorry i had to tell you that here like this.

grandmasota said:

I'd love to see you guys go out and play a game of football knowing that after you graduate you go into service to protect your country. You do realize these guys and women protect you from Harm. What do you do after you graduate? Sit in a plush office and collect big money!! Dumb jerk!!!!!

Justin S said:

Actually I spend a good portion of my time (and am trying to make it my career) to work and advocate for the homeless. So I guess since you want to make morally comparative statements, I'm better? Since, you know, my way involves making the world a better place and not killing people. But I'd rather not compare, and get back to the main focus of my article, which is that Charlie Weis sucked, and Niumatalolo coaches up dirty teams who take cheap shots. Also that Navy does indeed stay in the black because of the games against ND. The ticket sales and TV revenues are under Navy control since it's technically their "home game". And if you really wanted to get into it, the fact that the military academies are dens of testosterone which create a social atmosphere of violence and non-acceptance of women is a whole different article for a different column. But I'd love to discuss it in a civil manner if you wish. Your readership is appreciated.

Navy1984 said:

Admirable profession and good for you. BTW, most of the Service Academy grads never actually have to shoot anybody, let alone kill anyone.

No doubt that Navy makes money off of the game, but we're not in the black solely because of the ND. Your point is way overstated.

As to the slam on the Service Academies being "dens of testosterone" that statement is well off the mark, and a bit like saying "The Catholic Church is a den of pedophiles." Spare us the hyperbole, please.

I'm sure the people who employ you would be truly impressed with the blog post that kicked this whole thing off.

Now, who wants to see "three in a row"?

BEAT ND again.

PS - If I were you guys, I'd be crapping myself at the prospect of playing Army in November. ND can't stop the option.

USNA Ancient '60 said:

Bravo Zulu, Navy1984, from USNA Ancient '60 ... usually, those without much are the first to complain about those with testosterone ... and our female Mids probably rank higher on the scale than these two !

Salty said:

I don't know what's funnier. This article or the fact that someone thinks gender studies is a legitimate academic discipline. OMG OMG those military guys are soooo testosterone driven OMG OMG.

News Flash: Bears using woods for toilet.

News Flash: ND grad writes article whining about football team.

Joe Cronin said:

News Flash: the trolls are feeding.

WhineLikeAChamp2Day said:

And thank God they are, Joe, because it must be lonesome around here without us. You, Justin & Bill sitting around sipping lattes and praising yourselves for saving the world and loving Notre Dame...I'm sure it gets boring after a while. Maybe we should move this over to Justin's Facebook group, with his whopping 98 fans?!?!
Cue the crickets....

Salty said:

New Flash: Navy beats ND again. MALICIOUS CUT BLOCKS!!!!!!!!!

Heckler said:

First, you should get your facts straight. Many of the men and women at the Naval Academy have served and have returned from service. Your comments are not only not credible but insulting a a large group of people. Second, when it comes to making money, Notre Dame is one of the biggest culprits. Who do you think benefits from having every home game broadcast by NBC on national TV? Are you really that naive to think that Notre Dame doesn't benefit from having a game in Ireland? Shame on you for attempting to make it look as if the Naval Academy is nothing but a gold digging organization. Third, Navy is annually one of the least penalized college teams in the country. Averaging one personal foul per game is not only taking things out of context but completely unreasonable to provide the entire basis of an opinion on not only the Navy football team but the Academy as a whole.

All in all, it sounds to me as if you're just angry that your precious Notre Dame is not as good as it used to be. Navy has had a steadily improving football program that still doesn't get the respect it deserves. Take the recent losses like a fan that has some sort of pride- like you said, thanks to Navy, you'll always have next year.

Majmack said:

Well...that did not work out so well. I bet NBC cannot wait to have the contract end. As for the comments depicting the Academy...truly unfortunate....for those who have made such uneducated irresponsible comments, those brave enough to serve those very folks but most improtantly...for us all as a Nation. Great job Navy!!

grandmasota said:

How about those MIDS now. Might want to consider purchasing your ticket for 2012 at this time.

navy21 said:

Another IRISH beatdown.. Suck it up crybabies.

Justin S said:

Well, all in all I would say the trolling of Navy was a success. Congratulations on your win, by the way. The one thing I was wrong about was the fact that some academy students have indeed served. I was clearly misinformed on this point and apologize to those students. My points still succinctly stand that Navy is a dirty team (one that likely ended the playing career of Ian Williams with an uncalled chop block that shredded his knee), and I wouldn't say the "den of testosterone" statements are overblown when 50% of women enrolled at the service academies report being sexually assaulted at one time or another, and the Department of Defense has to create a special task force to look into the matter of unreported or ignored sexual assault and rape cases. If you examine the societal atmosphere created within the service academies, it encompasses all the repression of Catholicism with the violence-worshipping, bro-ness of a frat house. That's not a healthy environment.
And who ever said I ignored that ND makes money off of football? If anything, ND alums are very proud that we make a lot of money off of football. My point was that ND people elevate the Navy game to this hallowed level and speak of this great rivalry when the primary reason this rivalry continues is because ND has given Navy the option to renew every year, and they do every year because it makes them a boatload (get it?) of money, making them no different than any other college football team in that regard. Without playing ND every year, they'd most likely have to join a conference or operate in the red to maintain their Independent status.
Really, the initial point of this article was two-fold:
1. To state my my general opinion that I wish Notre Dame alum, coaches and players would take the game seriously and treat Navy like an opponent instead of some kind of intra-squad scrimmage where everyone wants to hug afterward. Maybe now we've lost enough times that we'll stop doing that. I don't think ND should want to play Navy every year because the rivalry offers nothing for ND to gain and everything for Navy to gain, as we saw today when one team came out completely flat and unenthused about playing football against what they saw as the 7th best team on their schedule, and the other team came out and likely played the game of their lives against what they consider their second biggest rival. Given what Kelly witnessed this year, maybe he won't underestimate Navy next time.
2. To annoy Navy fans and see if I could goad them into commenting. Mission accomplished.

bt13 said:

Oops, two years in a row. That must be a mistake. Maybe my class will be the first to see 4 mistakes in a row.

In response to you saying that service academies are "violence worshiping," we take ethics and leadership courses that teach us exactly the opposite. You should get your facts straight before saying something that potentially can be seen by someone more powerful than the editors of Chicago Now.
As for the "Bro-ness of a frat house," have you ever had 4000+ to back you up when you needed someone the most?

PS- No turnovers or penalties for us today. Dirty?

-2013 Midshipman

JustinSmokesPot said:

Great piece of "journalism." Here's another article for you to ponder -- how the word "journalism" has just become another word for "crap" in this country. So much for your second profession; maybe you should stick with your first and go hug some trees, but I digress...

As for your article:
1) Charlie Weis did suck. However, so has everyone since that little weasel Lou Holtz.
2) Coach Kenny may be a little bit of a hothead, but he coaches perfection. He praises his players, week in and week out, and respects them for making the sacrifice that they make -- not for themselves as you and your weenie friends from ND do -- but for the selfless sacrifice they make for our country. While most have not served, I think everyone but you realize that as soon as they graduate they will go to the meatgrinder of Afghanistan or what's left to do in Iraq. Navy Sailors in Afghanistan? Yes -- because your Army buddies can't do it all by themselves, we have thousands of Navy meteorologists, public affairs officers, and ship drivers picking up rifles everyday in-country. Once again, another article topic for you -- how a Naval Academy graduate can pick up in five months of training what it takes an Army Officer 15 years to learn.
But, back to the topic at hand -- that "dirty" team yesterday had zero penalties. Last time I checked the rule book, cut blocking is perfectly legal. I love how you pick one play out of an entire set of 84 games to "prove" how Navy is dirty. Should I paste in the game footage of the infamous 4th-and-10 spot from 1999 and call that "proof that ND pays off officials?" You want to talk dirty or cheap, let's go back to that weasel Holtz going for and converting a 4th down with less than a minute to go, then scoring a touchdown in a ballgame where he already held a 45-point lead. In my four years at Navy, the closest loss I ever witnessed was a 34-point beatdown in 1993. So, let's talk dirty...

3) As for needing ND to operate in the black -- with the restart of the Penn State rivalry next year, consistently booking teams like Ohio State in home-and-home series, and actually going to and winning bowl games EVERY YEAR (something ND hasn't done in a decade), we hardly need ND to stay afloat. As with your "ND owes Navy" argument, your "Navy football/athletics needs ND" is a worn-out argument as well. In fact, I would argue the reverse is true -- ND NEEDS NAVY if they ever hope to salvage a six-win season in the near future. After yesterday's brutality, ND may even need to rethink that strategy and start booking more Western Michigan's instead.

I'd like to close with this -- as a South Bend native who has hated ND since the day he was born, I remember when ND fans would make these same arguments about teams like Miami, USC, and Michigan. Now, Navy has replaced these teams, and Jimmy Johnson, Pete Carroll, and Bo Schembechler have been replaced by Ken Niumatololo? Are you kidding me? How far has your program fallen from grace when that has occurred? Your irrelevance on the college football landscape makes me wonder why I took the time to 1) read this "journalism" (remember -- crap), and 2) why I wasted even more time to respond.

Geez...

JustinSmokesPot said:

BTW -- that was a legal cut block on Williams. If he's the "truly hard worker" that CBS commentators said he was, he'll fall back on that law degree he's working on. Maybe he can assist you in defending some trees.

50% of women sexually assaulted? Where do you get your facts?! Have you interviewed these women? To say that it never happens would be a lie, but to portray it as something that occurs on an everyday basis is ludicrous.

Joe Cronin said:

Stewart is getting a law degree, not Williams. Get your facts straight...

JustinSmokesPot said:

Based on the crap portrayed in this article, I thought facts were optional.

USNA Ancient '60 said:

All well said, Justin ... (;oD ... and, I agree, it's too bad we have to waste time with this type of excrement !

Navyman Norm said:

Hey Joe- If you can read this, I know you didn't graduate from Notre Dame. You used to worry about "winning the National Championship"; then it was being in the Top Ten; then being in the Top Twenty Five,. What is it now? The Top 100?

USNA Ancient '60 said:

Maybe you should bother to learn a little about football and blocking techniques before you go spouting off ... there is nothing wrong with cut blocking ... it is done and has been doe by every team since the beginning of football ... simply put, it's putting your opponent on the ground by legal and accepted means ... even the once-mighty [in there own minds at present] irish do it ... but obviously not as well as NAVY. You might want to check out an informed and intelligent blogger named "The Birddog" ... you might learn something, although I seriously doubt that's probable or even possible. ... just goes to show the rampent ignorance surrounding ND ... . 54 year ago when I entered the Academy, we were taught that Plebes were the lowest thing on Earth, lower even than whale s*** at the bottom of the Mindanao Trench ... you have exceeded that standard and now even Plebes everywhere have something to look down upon ! Oh, and when you fire this coach ... don't stick your nose in our YARD ... if we can't have Paul Johnson [and I bet he really doesn't give a rat's ass what you think of him], we'll keep Coach Ken, his clone in many ways, albeit more emotional ... now, go back to that dark, dank place in which you dwell; maybe you can get a priest to exorcise you and your ugly demons !

USNA Ancient '60 said:

oh, and don't overrate your misplaced arrogant self ... "... second biggest rival ..." ROTFLMFAO ! ... not even close. And, insofar as your "reason" for writing this screed ... not even a good try, but no cigar ! I dare you to come to our house [The Yard], announced ! I'll personally set up the welcoming committee !

Navyman Norm said:

Justin- Having served 6 1/2 years on active duty aboard three Navy ships, with hundreds of men as shipmates, did not make for an "unhealthy environment". You opened up "Pandora's Box" with your asinine comments about "dirty play' by Navy. Live with the consequences. My son is a "Domer' class of '98 and a Naval Officer; my daughter-in-law is a"Domer", too. And, once upon time, this Subway Alum used to worship Notre Dame when it embodied the words above the Sacred Heart Basilica portal: "God, Country, Notre Dame". Unfortunately, when Jenkins et al, arrest ProLife protestors and an 80 year old priest for standing up "for human life" on campus, Notre Dame ceased being Notre Dame.

bt13 said:

What have you done lately? Sure we haven't done anything with our careers, yet. Neither have the cadets at West Point, Air Force, and even the NJROTC Midshipmen you have at Notre Dame. While we're learning to be leaders, you can't suppress our personalities, bro. At least no matter what, our lives will amount to something while you will still be posting bitter, opinionated articles bashing any team the Irish play.

Urbotay said:

Ian Williams wasn't injured on any block, legal or illegal. He was on the ground and the pile landed on top of his leg, something that happens fairly often in football. You may now resume talking about everything else you know nothing about.

USNA Ancient '60 said:

Parting comment ... You're an asshole !

USNA Ancient '60 said:

oops ... I just read "Seasons Predictions" ... congrats, James Fagen, you got it right [not so much the season, but this game] ... the rest of you ... pathetic ... go back to kindergarten and get mommy to change your diapers ROTFLMFAO !!!

Justin S said:

Not sure why....but I am beginning to doubt the backstory implied by your username (of being a guy who graduated from the naval academy in 1960). Something about your internet savvy tells me that you are most likely lying, or at least presenting a false front. Either way, your continued readership is appreciated. And I'd say Fegan (which I hope was just a misspelling on your part, not a Freudian homophobic slip-up) got it quite right though, since we certainly appear to be on a trajectory towards 6-6. Hawaii bowl here we come!

USNA Ancient '60 said:

Doubt all you like; to quote Rhett Butler "Frankly, ... I don't give a damn ! ... as far as lying, kiss my 72-year old ass, you little pissant ! ... oh, and show some respect -if not to your elders, then to your betters; capitalize NAVAL ACADEMY or are you REALLY that ignorant ? ... oh, and it was a typo, but definitely not homophobic even if it wasn't; again, I really don't give a damn and strongly support repeal of DADT, as well as gay marriage ... so F****** what ! ... I just returnd from my 50th Class Reunion in Annapolis [14-17 Oct] where we beat SMU ... I would have been in East Rutherfort for the execution, but turned up with a flare up of my COPD ... but have watched the game twice now and enjoyed it immensely ... well not so much THIS exhibition of ND [coach-taught ?]"sportsmanship" !!!

WhineLikeAChamp2Day said:

Of course you doubt him, Justin, because you write for a Chicago blog. Deflect, degrade, deny, as long as it doesn't involve a Chicago liberal politician. Why admit the truth when fiction is much more fun? And, yes, thank us all for our readership and input because this is the most action you've seen around here in a long time. You must be wetting yourself watching your "Views" counter tick up. Maybe your Facebook page will top 100 "Likes" some day soon. Enjoy the trip to Hawaii and the game that won't be televised during prime time.

USNA Ancient '60 said:

well, there's proof of age at least ... I forgot the damn link ! ...

Navy 86 USMC said:

Justin -

Coach Niumat coaches dirty football? Are you on crack or just a complete moron? Here's a few stats for you, dipshit:

2008 Navy Penalty rank: 2nd lowest in penalties; ND rank 61st
2009 Navy penalty rank: 1st lowest in penalties; ND rank 73rd
2010 Navy Penalty rank: 3rd lowest in penalties; ND rank 26th

here's the link: http://www.cfbstats.com/2008/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category14/sort01.html

It took me all of about 5 minutes to look this up. Next time you want to spout crap about something, you should stop snorting meth long enough to get at least ONE fact strait.

You even disrespect young men and women who sign up to serve their country in time of war? Really? Even among the pathetic whiners that are ND football fans, you really stand out. And that's saying something.

WhineLikeAChamp2Day said:

So, Justin lit the fire and then hides behind the excuse that he was trolling for Navy fans. I wasn't going to take the bait, but when someone writes ignorant comments about an institution he knows nothing about, and says disparaging comments about a coach that are completely wrong, he deserves to have his silly green hat shoved down his throat. Cut blocks, not chop blocks, are legal, Justin, and last time I checked, Navy was not flagged for any penalties on Saturday. National TV, subway alum out in full force, the blessed "Fighting" Irish on the field...I think the refs would have called it. Next: Coach Ken does not teach dirty football and your comments about him come from ignorance and jealousy. But since you like to think you know Coach Ken, allow me to "know" you: another tree hugger who never got picked for the schoolyard game because you were the little dweeb, so you run around campus in your Lucky Charms outfit because it makes you part of the team; who cried with tears of joy when your beloved ND honored pro abortion Barry Soweto while Touchdown Jesus wept; who kinda/sorta knew a guy who went to West Point but secretely resented him for it; who has beers with the Army "friends" so you can conveniently say you support the troops (as long as they don't shoot anyone); and who says degrading & untrue things about the Naval Academy because deep down inside you hate the fact that a place like the Naval Academy exists. Funny how the ND fans never had a problem playing Navy for 43 years as long as we were the patsy who made you look like the perennial national champions you think you are. Now that we're winning, there must some sort of cheating going on, right? Well, Justin, I'll take the Naval Academy and its football team, including Coach Ken, over the over hyped "Fighting" Irish and their overserved fans any day of the week. I'll see you in Dublin, maybe with your 98 "Likes" from your Facebook page? By the way, make sure to write ahead of time that they don't serve Bud Light in Dublin...don't want those subway alum to get thirsty.

WhineLikeAChamp2Day said:

Oh, and for a fan of a team that has the legacy of Lou Holtz and his antics to say ANYTHING about another team's coach is just priceless. Look in the mirror, Justin, or Google Lou Holtz if he was before your time. You won't like what you see (and you may just notice how ridiculous you look in that costume). Don't hurt yourself falling from your morally superior high ground.

Kyle_P said:

Navy fans, in the words of the great Antoine Dodson, "You are dumb. You are really really dumb." This isn't "journalism", this is a BLOG. This is a BLOG by former Notre Dame students who happen to be sarcastic, occasionally witty, and enjoy getting a rise out of people. This is not intended to be a factual account; the authors are not striving to be ESPN or SI.com. Instead, they are writing with the aim of making an ND football blog that, like them, is sarcastic and witty. If you want to read "journalism" (quotes implying wanna-be journalism/ists) go to the literally thousands of other ND football blogs that attempt to offer serious commentary on our games (they are kinda boring). I'm actually surprised no ND Navy ROTC students commented on this, because the whole argument sounds just like a letter to the editor war in a student newspaper; the whining and vitriol contained in these comments would be more suited to idealistic freshmen and sophomores, not grown-ass men. I wouldn't think actual Midshipmen would be this thin skinned. Hopefully ya'll can keep your cool a little better on the job...

In summary, THIS IS NOT SERIOUS JOURNALISTIC COMMENTARY SO CHILLAX PEEPS.

WhineLikeAChamp2Day said:

Oh, I'm sorry, my readin compreehenshun is not as good as the smart folks who gradutated from noter daim...

I don't have a degree from the hallowed grounds of ND, nor do I run around town in my Rudy jacket and pretend to have a connection, but when someone says things like Ken N. is a douchebag and teaches his players to hit dirty, or Screw Navy, and then stands behind those statements, I know that it's not sarcasm. I can only imagine the outrage around here if I threw out, "Screw the homeless!"

And I'm pretty sure that none of us confused this blog with a real sports website such as ESPN or SI, nor did the words "serious journalistic commentary" EVER enter my mind. In fact, if not for Google alerts, we'd be like the rest of the world and not know this secret club of sarcastic and witty ND grads exists. Your Facebook page tells me all I need to know about the popularity of this blog.

And, Kyle, don't you worry about the "thin skinned" Mids. They learn how to deal with pressure and they'll always have your back no matter what. I know that means nothing to you and your intellectual friends here on the blog, but so be it.

I will see you all next year when Justin throws another Hail Mary pass to "troll" for readers of his blog. I'm going to Annapolis to "chillax." That is, if I'm not too dumb to find it.

Navyman Norm said:

Hey Kyle- Do you still think "Moby Dick" is a venereal disease?

navy21 said:

Great sportsmanship ND. Keep up the good work Kelly.

Navyman Norm said:

Justin- You poor wrteched Domer boy! Tsk tsk, how DARE those 5'9' 195 LB Navy linebackers CRUSH those 300 Lb Notre Dame Behemoths and make total asses of them, like your comments made of you! My son is a ND Grad, class of '98 AND a Naval Officer. Unlike you, he isn't "whining" about ND getting their ASSES whipped by a group of young men who OUTPLAYED, OUTSCHEMED, and OUTPERFORMED Notre Dame on the field of play. Navy didn't open their "Pie Hole" BEFORE the game ala Ian Williams who said "This is My game'. No Justin, NAVY just went out and "Took names and KICKED YOUR SORRY ASS" all the way back to Mishawaka! You should be glad that these NAVY men are defending you; they LIVE the NAVY MOTTO every single day, on and off the football field. "NON SIBI, SED PATRIAE".
Best look up the translation. This Catholic Navyman understands the Holy Cross Fathers don't teach "latin" at your formerly Catholic university. The one which welcomed Planned Parenthood's Pro Abortion Poster Boy Barack Hussein with open arms.....

Navyman Norm said:

35-17.Game,Set,Match. LMAO.

Navyman Norm said:

Maybe ND can schedule the Coast Guard or Merchant Marine academies next year?

Justin S said:

Ok, well I think everyone has had a chance to say what they wanted to say, and I'm tired of having to police these comments because certain posters won't stop trying to throw links to their own blog up here, and I really don't want to have to police the type of conversation that one guy is trying to start with the abortion and Barack Obama talk. I'm shutting down comments for this entry. I'll see you all next year for my Navy article, tentatively titled "The Navy: Why Do We Even Need One?" Two words: Kraken Attacks.

On Down The Line on Facebook