Message from Montie

« Dilemma for a Chris Brown fan, Social media marketing jobs, do you »

Tomatoes meant for Sarah Palin land in police officer's face

Message from Montie

Shamontiel is the author of two novels: "Change for a Twenty" and "Round Trip." Check her out at shamontiel.com.

jeremyolson.gif

Jeremy Olson

I've daydreamed about hitting Sarah Palin with tomatoes, but Jeremy Olson actually followed through. Only problem was his aim apparently is only good for the boys in blue.

According to MyFox9.com, 33-year-old Jeremy Olson was at the Mall of America today and allegedly had four tomatoes ready to aim and plow. He allegedly threw two in the direction of Sarah Palin during her "Going Rogue" book signing, missed completely, but he managed to hit Bloomington Commander Mark Stehlik right in the face.

Jeremy, what are you doing? As big as her mouth is and as much as she just loves to be in the spotlight, how could you miss? He threw two of the four tomatoes from the second floor balcony and was then arrested for suspicion of assault and disorderly conduct.

If that doesn't boggle your mind enough, what would possess 700,000 people to buy Sarah Palin's book "Going Rogue"? Didn't she say enough nonsense during the campaign? Why would you want to read a print version of it too?

Click here for details on the tomato-throwing event.

Note to the Sarah Palin supporters: A tomato is not going to send anybody to the hospital, break any bones or harm her permanently so please stop the accusations about hate speech and "the liberals." I'm not speaking for all liberals. I'm speaking for myself. I'm not saying I want her to be hurt. A soft tomato will do. But that tomato would be no different than your average food fight, and I've never been in one. But if I was ever to get in one, I'd love for her to be on the opposing team, especially if it was on one of those outfits that added up to that ridiculous $150,000 shopping spree. How many "average Americans" spend $150,000 on clothes, some courtesy of their aides' credit cards? It bothers me that people voted for her simply because she was an (unqualified) woman. Having a vagina doesn't mean we should vote for you, being qualified with the vagina sure does help. Her debate for vice president was a joke and that damsel in distress deal she had talking about how she didn't know about all this "political stuff" right in front of Biden blew me. I'm not impressed that she couldn't cut it as the governor and bailed out early, so how was she supposed to handle being vice president besides pulling a Ronald Reagan and letting everybody speak for her once she got into office. If you're going to vote for somebody, at least pick somebody who's qualified to run the US.

HinterlandGazette said:

Okay, at least the guy had guts. His aim was just horrible. What are the odds of hitting a cop in the face with a tomato? I am pretty sure Jay Leno and David Letterman will use this in their monologues tonight. LOL

Message from Montie said:

I'm planted in front of the television for the rest of the night. I've got to hear the jokes coming out of this one. This is one of the many times I wish Real Time With Bill Maher was on. I'm watching Bill Maher on Facebook too because I know he'll have something to say.

HinterlandGazette said:

I am guessing that if this makes the rounds with the comedians this week, it will no doubt be featured on Saturday Night Live. We might see Tina Fey come back for a cameo appearance. In any case, this is hilarious and I am sorry he missed. The look on her face would be priceless.

Joe the Cop said:

Jeremy looks like he's trying to do his best fierce impersonation of Henry Rollins

It's not working Jeremy. As for those 700,000 purchases, how many of them were by liberals buying them as gag gifts for the holidays?

Message from Montie said:

*dead from laughter* He really does look like Henry Rollins in that pic you sent. Hilarious. As far as the gift, I don't think there's a liberal in a world that woud shell out cash for that kind of gag gift. And if there are, NONE of them better send it to me. I'd be so pissed! Ooooh.

HinterlandGazette said:

Montie, what's his name. I am seeing on HuffPo his name is Jeremy Paul Olson, AKA Jeremiah Wobbe.

Message from Montie said:

I saw that too, but Huffington Post links to Fox News, and the lead on Fox News links to MyFox9.com so I went for the source of the reporting.

HinterlandGazette said:

I am posting this to my blog and giving you the hat tip!

Message from Montie said:

Cool. Send me the link when you write it so I can read it too or I'll look out for it on Facebook. I'm watching "Lopez Tonight" to see if George Lopez says anything about this.

username said:

Plenty of yucks-no doubt all you funnies would think it hilarious if a teabagger had done this to Obama-I can just hear you chuckling at that

Message from Montie said:

Do you know what a teabagger is? How do you equate someone throwing a tomato to a teabagger? As far as me laughing at someone throwing a tomato at Obama, yeah, that's not going to happen. But Obama and Palin are two completely different people. One has common sense. The other just likes to flick her hair and blink a lot.

username said:

Yes-a teabagger is a liberal like Barney Frank.You have strange values-it is ok to practice violence in pursuit of your opinions (and especially against a woman)but only against conservatives.Well,what goes around comes around so don't get exercised if this happens to someone you support.

Message from Montie said:

Username (who didn't feel like creating a username), Obama's job is not one big walk in the park. This whole health care reform deal that the Republicans are arguing nonstop and being a pain in the butt about is way worse than Palin and the tomatoes. AND she didn't get hit AND the guy who did it is being arrested. So where did Palin suffer? You act like she really got the tomatoes smashed in her face like the cops did. Give me a break. And just so we're clear, that's not the original meaning of a "teabagger." A teabagger and being liberal do not go hand in hand.

Alex said:

Seriously? Obama didn't even finish his first term as senator. Palin has been a City Counsel member, Mayor, and Governor. There is nothing she has said that is "dumb". I challenge you to prove me wrong. As for this Username guy, violence is not how you get your point across. Not if its against a liberal or a conservative. The guy who threw the tomatoes deserves to go to jail. I say the same if someone did it to Obama. I personally think that liberals (including yourself) are terrified of her because she is not part of a corrupt political machine. She also says what she means.

Message from Montie said:

Alex, Be clear. Palin did NOT finish her term as governor. She got frustrated and just left, so how could she possibly handle being vice president? She never said one thing about the issues. Her whole compaign was to pick Obama apart, which she did a pisspoor job of. The only issues she stood firm on was lying about her pregnant daughter getting married and that she was against gay marriage. She talked a lot about a plumber who DID NOT have his own business and said "Joe the Plumber" as much as McCain.

I do not think throwing tomatoes at someone AND MISSING deserves any amount of jail time. What he did was the equivalent of dodge ball. If anything he should have to pay a cleaning bill and be on his merry way.

Sarah Palin is a puppet who spits out whatever the Republican party tells her to say. Please give me ONE intelligent quote she's made.

Message from Montie said:

Obama cut his term short as a senator to run for president. She cut her term short as a governor to sell a book, and even her own state had issues with her. She left Hawaii because white people were the minority in an Asian community. She stood right in front of Joe Biden and said she didn't know anything about "this political stuff." Are you kidding me? If a black man had the same...wait...if ANY man ran for president with her lack of qualifications (of course he'd also have to have the government money she used to buy outfits for herself too so he can be pretty snazzy while he talks about absolutely nothing) he'd be boo'ed off the stage. People wanted to vote for her simply because she was a a woman. That whole year of the woman campaign was a bunch of bull. There was no way in the world I'd vote for a woman just for being a woman. I think she's about as illogical as Condolezza Rice, but at least Condolezza Rice understood politics. I think Palin would get confused simply combing her hair.

Chicago MadSpender said:

I will address you with a measure of respect that I'm not SURE you deserve. Don't you realize, or even care, that when mature adults read this kind of unsupported hate speach it just makes your side looks so petty and foolish. There's not one shred of actual knowledge or reason to any of your statements. It's all just a way for you to blow off a lot of steam, display your hate and utter ignorance of actual facts. Have you ever considered the concept of investigation, and looking for empirical evidence for the things you spew day in and day out? -- Of course not. What would you be saying if somebody had "daydreams of hitting [Barach Obama] with tomatoes? You'd be calling for the perpetrator's criminal punishment, and rightfully so. -- Why don't you understand that, with a forum like this you have a great opportunity to inform and persuade others. Instead, what you do is display unlimited ignorance and the most childish of human behaviors, opening your mouth and shooting it off without any substance to back up your absurd comments. Up to this point, I've seen no evidence that you KNOW anything factually accurate about anything, .. least of all Sarah Palin.
Palin wins, you lose.
Just the contrasting success between yours and hers should prove that, assuming you're capable of noticing it. Jealousy is not a very attractive or inspiring trait. Your photo shows you to be very attractive on the outside. I hope you will consider improving your mind, as you try to mature, so that it will become worthy of accompanying such a pretty face.
:-)

Chicago MadSpender said:

Of course in my comment above, I meant to spell "hate speech" - Sorry for the typo error.

Message from Montie said:

Hate speech? I did not say anything sexist, racist or say something about her age. So where is the "hate speech"? Yes, I really would've laughed if he hit her with the tomato. It's childish, but it's true. She bugs me. She has absolutely no business in anybody's political party. She spews the same stupid speech about being proud of being American and being patriotic, and although it sounds all peaches and cream, after that, her head is empty.

But I don't hate her. I just think she's dizzy.

Message from Montie said:

Chicago MadSpencer, Thank you for calling me pretty. Now that I've thanked you for that, please tell me one statement I said that was incorrect. I have a reference for the few things I said above. I watched the debates. I heard her talk about politics like it was matter-of-fact. Her entire debate with Biden had not a shred of evidence that she understood politics, and she skipped out on being a governor.

Hate speech? Do you know what speech hate is. If somebody says something goofy to me, I might jokingly say I'd want to throw popcorn at them. That's not like saying I wish the guy would punch her in the mouth or put his hands on her. It's a tomato! A tomato! *rolling my eyes*

To be honest with you, it wouldn't even bother me if someone said they wish they could throw a tomato at Obama. I'm sure there are people that would like to. But let me ask you a question. Were you this bent out of shape with the "You lie" fiasco during a presidential speech?

And again, I invite you back to tell me ANY statements I made about Palin that were inaccurate. Please. I'd love to hear them.

Message from Montie said:

And one more thing. Let me explain to you how hate speech goes. I want you to click on ANY video of Obama and read comments from people calling this man a n***er, a monkey, calling his daughters whores, etc. THAT is hate speech. Me saying I daydream about hitting her with a tomato does not mean I'd do it. Nobody is going to die or even go to the hospital or even require a band-aid from being hit with a tomato. The way your message reads, you'd have thought I said I wish I could shoot her. Don't make it bigger than what it is.

But I'm STILL waiting on you to tell me what I said wrong above so I can provide links and quotes to every single comment. Regardless of what I look like, let's talk about Sarah Palin. Because like I've said fifty million times, what you look like physically does NOT make you qualified. Sarah Palin is against same sex marriage, I'm not. Sarah Palin is against abortion, I'm not. Sarah Palin is not even remotely interested in multiculturalism, outside of being a woman. I am. Sarah Palin thinks Reverend Wright is racist. I don't. I don't agree with anything she's said in the entire time she ran for vice president, and I am the happiest person on Planet Earth that McCain lost!

Now whether you feel I deserve respect for stating the truth is completely and totally your business, but I meant every word I've stated in these blogs as well as my comments. However, I will gladly let you share your thoughts as well. Go for it.

sjwalter1974 said:

Although my mouth is salivating over the thought of someone hitting Sarah Palin in the face with a tomato, bag of nickels, sack of rocks, a couple of center blocks, you get the point, I am sort of conflicted over this event. As I think back to the infamous Iraqi shoe thrower, I have the same sentiment. Why did he miss? But as entertaining as that would have been we have to remember that we can’t just go around throwing things at people because we don’t agree with them. In this country we have already reverted back to the prehistoric archeaic politics that we see in countries such as India and Pakistan. With the Tea Party movement demonstrations already reaching volital levels some of which have even turned violent we have to remember which country we are and principles in which we were founded. Think about our president and all of the people in this country rallying against him. Had that tomato hit Sarah Palin that would have only opened the door for people who’s hell bent on taking aim at Obama. I loath her as a person and detest her politics but she deserves the respect of all of this countries citizens even if her policies don’t respect them.

Message from Montie said:

Bag of nickels? Rocks? Blocks? Those will all do permanent damage. You're a mess! A tomato is not going to hurt her besides staining an outfit. I was really shocked with the shoe throwing at Bush though. Now that's something that could've harmed him for good. I like Bush less than I like Palin, but I don't want any permanent harm done to either. My blog is kind of tongue-in-cheek. Well, kind of. If I met Palin, I would absolutely not throw a tomato at her. I daydream about a lot of things, but that's not one that would come true. At least not from me.

As far as whether the tomato hitting Palin would've been something against Obama, I'm not going for it. They're going to rally against Obama regardless. Any excuse will do. The entire Joe the Plumber deal was against Obama, and that was the weakest and most ridiculous example in political history for me (at least for as long as I've been alive). You get respect when you get it, and she's so disrespectful to so many people with her own policies so it's hard for me to respect her.

Childish, it may be, but I wish the tomato had landed on its intended target. That cop is going to be telling this story to his kids/grandkids someday, and they'll probably laugh. Why? Because it's so outrageous that somebody would bring tomatoes to a mall with such terrible aim.

sjwalter1974 said:

What harm would tomato do? Think of how many people in this country oppose Obama on the basis of skin color alone. Then you add the opposition of his policies and mix all of that together with gun toting hate filled people. That simple act of disrespect (although not harmful) would have opened the door to possibly more violent altercations. We have... See More to be mindful that we are dealing with people that have been in power for a long time and don't want to give it up. So if it means telling lies, and altering stories to send out a rallying cry against Obama that simple tomato would have been the catalyst.

Message from Montie said:

Sjwalter, I cannot deny that you have a point. A simple glance at one YouTube video about Obama with all of the ACTUAL hate speech on it tells me that some folks detest him on levels Jim Crow style. I guess any example will do. But the fact of the matter is regardless of the tomato throwing, that's not even fair to blame on Obama. That's about as illogical to blame on Obama as it would be to blame him if someone threw a snowball at someone outside. Obama didn't do it. He didn't pay the man to do it. That man made up his mind all by himself to throw tomatoes. Hell, a tomato hurts less than a snowball, especially a soft one. I've dropped a tomato on my foot. Foot still worked just fine. I've had many of snowballs thrown at me. Seriously, who hasn't? People who hate Obama are going to hate him with or without the tomato. That's hate embedded in their brains and fruit can come and go, but they'll still hate him. But I do see your point. When you're dealing with someone who hates him solely off of physical appearance, then anything will do. But to be perfectly honest, if the tables were turned and it was Obama who they were trying to throw tomatoes at, I've just shook my head and went about my day. In my eyes, it's still just a tomato.

If people are going to be up in arms (not you specifically) about people throwing things or being disrespectful, then they should be just as angry at the disrespect Joe Wilson showed with his very Jerry Springer "You lie!" moment. They should be arguing with these people on YouTube videos who are calling Obama names. They should be arguing with the "God Hates Fags" sign picketing outside of Malia's and Sasha's school. If we're going to be against REAL hate speech, then it shouldn't just be focused on one particular party.

sjwalter1974 said:

Exactly my point. People already are lining up against him for whatever reason. But the tomato, not saying that they would blame him for it, would be the opening some people need to throw more harmful things like bricks or bullets. It's opposition plain and simple and the one thing history has showed us is that when one person attacks the opposition retaliates with stronger attacks then the next thing you know you have JFK, MLK, Medgar Evers, Emmit Till (well you get the point) on your hands. Do we really want that. After all it was just a harmless little soft tomato.

Message from Montie said:

Because of the historical significance of Obama being elected, I can see why you think as you do. However, my issue is why isn't anybody saying "What if we threw a tomato at Joe Biden?" Everybody went straight to Obama like he doesn't have a vice president. If people are going to use a tomato to use something as harmful as a brick or a bullet, they were planning that anyway. And going in a court of law to say, "Well remember that tomato situation?" should get them put UNDER the prison doors!

I was running errands and saw about 10 boys outside clobbering each other with snowballs right in the face. They laughed, got up, and kept it moving. I just can't take a tomato seriously. But more importantly (and I'm not talking about you) I can't take people seriously who are only opposed to Sarah Palin being disrespected but turn a blind eye to Wilson, the picketing lady, and...Palin's policies on war, homosexuality, the economy, religion, etc. If she'd have made it to office, she'd have done a whole helluva lot worse than a piece of fruit!

sjwalter1974 said:

I agree with you but I think you're missing my point. She is a huge liberal bullseye just as Obama is a HUGE conservative bullseye. If that tomato would've hit her it wouldn't be Biden it would be Obama that they would take aim at. I especially dispise the "You Lie" comment. And not saying that people haven't already thought of it or are thinking about it but something as simple as a tomato would kick of a greater more harmful confrontation. Of course the ones that agree with and like Sarah Palin wouldn't think that Joe Wilson did something wrong but he did. Just like the people that don't believe that the congressman from Florida was wrong with the "Republicans want you to Die quickly" remark. No one can have it both ways but the last thing any of us need to be doing is throwing things at each other. This is not a snowball fight. This is our government (which at often times could be compared to a bunch of kids in a snowball fight).

Sjwalter,
You make a great point indeed. I see what you're saying, but I'm not going to lie to you. I still wish the tomato would've landed at its intended target, but I see what you're saying. But Palin is making herself more of a bullseye. McCain kinda fell back once he didn't win. We see him at political events and sharing his points, but he's not trying to be the showstopper. If Palin wants to stay in politics and tell people how they should've run for president, she needed to actually fulfill her term as governor. I just think she's pointless and needs to go sit down somewhere...permanently.

Message from Montie said:

After reading the conversation with President Barack H. Obama with the Republican Caucus, I was impressed with how level-headed he was no matter what question was thrown out. Better yet, he was big enough to admit when he was wrong and continuously insist that we (Democrats, Republicans and Independents) must stop all the finger-pointing about what the other side isn't doing instead of getting to the root of the issue. For that reason, as of this day, I'm going to stop saying "the Republicans don't want..." or "the Republicans want..." instead of narrowing it down to a particular issue. From this conversation, more often than is published via the media, the three parties can agree on issues, but we spend so much time attacking each other when we don't agree. This is one of the many reasons I continue to emphasize voting in all elections. It gives us the option to vote on people individually instead of just party voting. We should be paying attention to what each candidate says instead of the solo letter next to their names or skin complexion. So I'm going to stop my own finger-pointing and embrace the fact that so many Republicans find my political tweets (or any other type of tweets) interesting enough to follow on Twitter. Previously I wasn't thrilled about the idea, as I mentioned in "Tough love letter to African-Americans who don't vote, disrespect Dr. King's fight for our rights."

Note: I started to take this blog down because of the instigation going on and support I had for Sarah Palin being hit with tomatoes, but I'm going to leave it here because it has some intelligent debating going on with those who didn't agree with me.