Message from Montie

« Chicago businesses celebrate upcoming release of Presidential Address from President Obama on »

Bill Maher accuses Pres. Obama of sounding like Bush after presidential address on War in Afghanistan

Message from Montie

Shamontiel is the author of two novels: "Change for a Twenty" and "Round Trip." Check her out at shamontiel.com.

Bill Maher RT.jpg

On the set of "Real Time With Bill Maher"

At 7 p.m. tonight, President Barack H. Obama talked about why he's sending 30,000 additional troops to Afghanistan, and as soon as he clarified his first reason, immediately I thought of HBO's political talk show host, Bill Maher.

Bill Maher was on "The Jay Leno Show" last night and compared America to herpes and cellulite because we (meaning America) just won't go away. On one hand, I see his point. America does hang around like the uninvited visitor after a war. However, I disagree with Bill Maher's latest Twitter Berry update stating: "Really Barry? U cldnt [sic] have sounded more like Bush if u mispronounced Nucleur."

I have consistently heard Maher say that President Obama is really intelligent, and he doesn't understand why Obama is keeping soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq. At one point, I agreed with Maher. I felt like we shouldn't have gone to war in the first place and now Dubya put Obama in a frustrating situation since we've been at it for eight years.

However, after tonight's speech, I can kind of see where President Obama is going with his decision. Although I'm not thrilled with 30,000 more troops going overseas, the fact of the matter is that this particular president didn't just throw on some cowboy boots and try to look tough on a ranch before actually making his decision. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope his rationale for why America is sending over more troops is necessary. Although the numbers are down for al Qaeda, they're not eliminated. It didn't take a massive amount of people to strike on September 11. Remember that.

I completely disagree with accusing President Obama of sounding like Bush though. Bush tried to force everybody into being "patriotic" and in agreement with him. Obama understands that some folks just aren't going to agree, but he put more thought into this one speech to try to rationalize his views than Bush's "because I said so" attitude the entire time he was legitimately president for four years and stole the election the other four.

On top of that, Obama actually does have an exit strategy, which Bush never had and his carbon copy McCain is opposed to. I'll take it. Hanging around in Iraq and Afghanistan after the summer of 2011 seems to be pointless. I still don't understand why soldiers are in Germany or Japan. But this time around this president at least has a game plan.

Here's a part of Obama's presidential address where he talks about America's reputation of being an unwanted and eternal visitor. So who do you agree with? Bill Maher, John McCain or President Barack H. Obama?

Excerpt from presidential address:

First, there are those who suggest that Afghanistan is another Vietnam. They argue that it cannot be stabilized, and we are better off cutting our losses and rapidly withdrawing. Yet this argument depends upon a false reading of history. Unlike Vietnam, we are joined by a broad coalition of 43 nations that recognizes the legitimacy of our action. Unlike Vietnam, we are not facing a broad-based popular insurgency. And most importantly, unlike Vietnam, the American people were viciously attacked from Afghanistan, and remain a target for those same extremists who are plotting along its border. To abandon this area now - and to rely only on efforts against al Qaeda from a distance - would significantly hamper our ability to keep the pressure on al Qaeda, and create an unacceptable risk of additional attacks on our homeland and our allies.

sjwalter1974 said:

I have to totally agree. Bill Maher has this one wrong. I have to admit I was also on the "why not pull out now" band wagon but after listening to the President's speech I really changed my tone. If we were in this war on the same basis as Russia in the 80's then yeah, but we really ARE in Afghanistan to protect our country. Pakistan governmental state is rapidly deteriorating, and this is shown to us daily as terrorists take over more and more of their territory. They have WMD's and if the people that attacked us were to get their hands on them then we would be in trouble. I'm not one for war but unlike Iraq I think we should take our time pulling out of this one. As for Iraq, let's bring evryone home today.

Message from Montie said:

SJWalter, thanks for your comment. I understand where Maher is going with this one, but he doesn't seem to understand that once the fight has started, you can't just walk away right in the middle especially with the opponents loading up and ready to fight.

TheGamblingGuru said:

I too agree with your summation and post here Montie. This is not one we can easily just walk away from with the task halfway complete. I think Obama explained that very well.

TheGamblingGuru

Message from Montie said:

I'm reading some really good feedback on the Facebook fan page about this. Thanks TheGamblingGuru for dropping by. If Obama withdrew all those troops, the Republicans would consider him a coward and some Democrats (who I still haven't figured out why they call themselves Democrats) would too. On last night's news, I heard a government official (my apologies because the name escapes me) STILL trying to push Obama into not withdrawing troops after the summer of 2011. These people who want soldiers to stay over there for the rest of their lives aren't ponying up one grandson, niece, nephew, even distant goddaughter to send overseas. Amazing!

IrishSweetness said:

Hi I'm Barack Obama. Don't worry, I'm black, I'm okay, things will be okay. Vote for me. Vote for me and I promise I'll pull our troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan within one year.

[One year later]

We're sending MORE troops to Afghanistan and I promise we'll have them out in 18 months .... I was lying before, but now I mean it.

et cetera et cetera .. the bullshit and lies of the machine continues .....

Message from Montie said:

IrishSweetness, So you would rather him pull the troops now and risk al Qaeda growing? You do realize it only took 19 people to pull of September 11th, right? From his speech, his mission is to get rid of al Qaeda altogether. To pull them out now is like punching your enemy in the mouth and then turning around but being surprised when you get hit in the back of the head.

IrishSweetness said:

Watch "No end in Sight" and then march on your local halls of government and ask why in your name another country was invaded and dismantled with absolutely NO PLAN OF ACTION. None. Nada. Zilch. Disgraceful. Bush and Blair are war criminals - but if you're on the winning side that doesn't matter does it ?

ggbeeno said:

No doubt about it, he is indeed starting to sound a LOT like ex dictator Bush!

RT
www.be-invisible.ua.tc

Message from Montie said:

Ggbeeno, how is he sounding like Bush? Where is one quote in his entire speech that sounded like Bush. He nailed point for point why he sent 30,000 troops and even broke down how much money would be used. How is that anything remotely like Bush. He actually took the time to acknowledge those who don't agree with him. Anyway, I read an interesting article today: US says bin Laden sometimes slips into Afghanistan. As long as bin Laden is just chilling (allegedly) in North Waziristan, why would Obama send all the troops home like it's all good? (By the way, everybody, thanks for checking this read out. I'm reading every comment. The visits and diggs are appreciated as well.)

Ernest Hua said:

What I don't see from either liberals or conservatives is the issue of competence. I see liberals crying "war criminal!". I see conservatives circling the wagon and yell "unpatriotic!" and "un-American!".

Did it ever occur to anyone that if Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld had executed only one war with clearly enunciated objectives and achieved the objectives, that many liberals would begrudgingly re-elect Bush?

Some of us don't care if the war was really about oil. Really! I don't like the objective, but since he was elected (sort of), he gets to choose the objective and execute.

But Bush simply didn't give a sh.t. Remember that he was the first president to say he needed some "me time"? That's not a competent president; that is a temp with a bad attitude.

Liberals have to get used to the idea that war, whether you like it or not, is sometimes a necessary short term solution. It is not a great solution, but it might be the best we have.

Conservatives need to start caring about competence, as it is quite clear that the Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld team had very little of it.

Let us all be thankful that, conservative or liberal, the current president is not a temp with a bad attitude.

Message from Montie said:

No, Ernest, it didn't occur to me that liberals would re-elect Bush because they simply wouldn't. Nothing about Bush is logical nor did he ever even hint at an objective plan to have an exit strategy. Bush was fighting his father's old battles. Even if it wasn't for the war, he was messing up royally before that! Obama is trying to get the job done without the hoopla and patriotic B.S. Who are you talking about who was "sort of" elected, Bush or Obama?

On another note, I laughed out loud (literally) at your comment about Bush and the Heather Headley "me time" comment. He sure did just up and take a vacation. It reminded me a lot of Ronald Reagan. He's there to snap pics and let the big boys do the job. We already have two movie star politicans who don't know ish (Schwarzenneger and Reagan) and Mr. Cowboy Bush. I don't take any of them seriously, but I do take Obama seriously. And yes, I am very thankful that the current president is "not a temp with a bad attitude."

Momo said:

I read your article, link is below & I totally disagree with you on Obama he campaigned on ENDING the war & now he's sending another 100K troops back to Afghanistan so he lied to me and everyone else who voted for him & I we will not be voting for him for a second term we have had it with both parties & their constant lying just to get elected or re-elected it's been going on now for way to long! Obama also lied about ending the Patriot Act getting rid of N.A.F.T.A. /G.A.T. & C.A.F.T.A so President Obama as far as we are concerned is a HUGE FAILURE & so is the Democrat & Republican parties who TODAY represent corporations & not the American people!

Message from Montie said:

Momo, I got your message, all FIVE of them sent to my Web site and on here. Whew, when you want to make a point, you really go hard. I get it. However, I want to know what it is you would suggest Obama do if al Qaeda is still here? It took less than 20 people for Sept. 11 to happen. Don't you think 100 al Qaeda members is a dangerous number? Yes, Obama did vow to end the War in Afghanistan and Iraq, but when you get into a position where you fully get ALL of the details of the war Bush started, sometimes you might have to rethink that decision. And keep in mind, he did set an end date unlike McCain or Bush. He also ended torture. So if you had to revote again, who would you have chosen because you definitely wouldn't have gotten anywhere with McCain? As far as not voting for him for a second term, you don't even know who the opposition is but you're already talking about who you won't vote for. Emotion sometimes clouds logic. How about waiting for him to fulfill his four year term? He was just put into officially office in January NOT November but you won't him to be Superman. Let that man work.