Food Fight

Food Fight On Food Network

Batman liked to prance around in tights. Wonder Woman was the first ever super hero MILF. The Hulk had anger management issues. Spiderman was misunderstood, so action was his reward. The Greatest American Hero lost the manual to his costume, so he was a super hero klutz. Iron Man was a recovering addict, who, back in the day, liked to smoke crack with Robert Downey Jr. And now, making his super hero debut, there's me, Greg, who, from this day forward, shall forever be known as...The Green Helmet.

morellibros_superdog.jpg

Joey and I got invited to compete in The Food Network Show, "Chefs vs City."

chefs_vs_city_morelli_bros.jpg

We raced through the streets of Chicago over the course of a day, competing in food challenges, like: making sausages in Chicago's historic Meat Packing District, making ice cream from scratch at iCream on Milwaukee, car hopping hotdogs at Superdawg on Devon, making deep dish pizzas at Lou Malnati's and finally delivering the pizzas to the 94th floor of Chicago's epic John Hancock Building.

We spent most of the competition coming back from behind. Ultimately, we lost. Or did we?

I know there's a lot going on this week. The president will finally decide whether or not to wimp out on single-payer; Afghanistan will get even more troops; the economy will continue to recover while the republican party continues to be angry about the economy recovering. Most of all, Mancow will continue to threaten the life of the president of the United States of America while the FCC worries more about F-Bombs than Hate Mongering.

f_bomb.jpg

But today, instead of all the important issues, I need a break. Today I'd rather talk about our Food Network Show, "Chefs vs City."

In case you saw the show, and wondered why Joey was limping, here's the backstory.

Joey hurt himself 5-weeks before the taping. We were playing basketball. He put up a 3-point shot: Nothing But Net!

I went to retrieve the ball. When I turned around to pass the ball back to Joey at the top of the key, he was lying on his back.

I told him to knock it off, I hadn't fouled him. He was being a faker, "Faker McFake-A-Lot." He said his leg gave out. He said it felt like someone threw a ball at the back of his heel. He heard a snap.

The day before the filming of "Chefs vs City," I met with Matt Westmore, the producer of the show, at The W Hotel in downtown Chicago, overlooking the lake. He invited me and Joey. But I went alone.

I wasn't ball hogging. I wasn't being a glory hound. I was keeping the truth from Matt Westmore, the producer of the show, for fear if they found out Joey snapped his Achilles, and was limping, they'd find someone else, without a limp, and we'd lose our chance to compete.

Basically, I used the Weapon of Mass Destruction technique, which is to say I knowingly lied so we could go to war on TV.

weapon_of_mass_hype.jpg

Ultimately, this brings me to the point of my blog. I contend my brother Joey is the winner of the entire show. He fought through his injury, without complaint. He smiled the whole day, functioning on will power alone.

Next to Joey, Achilles is a sissy

Joey's limp is his super power. It revealed his true character, under the pressure of competing as a chef in a Food Network Show, to be this: a fighter who would not let the odds against him interfere with his desire to fight the good fight, and even more, enjoy fighting the good fight.

Joey is my super hero. And yes, in case you're wondering, right now, as this is being typed, I'm wearing my Green Helmet.

Tracy Samantha Schmidt said:

Congrats to you and Joey. We know this is only the beginning for you guys and were psyched to watch the premiere at the Brickhouse on Friday. Brandon at Styled in Chicago posted some photos of the event if you haven't seen them yet:

But Greg, you have to get it right. It's not Superdog. It's Superdawg.

Greg Morelli said:

Food Fight changed "Superdog" to "Superdawg" at 10:54 AM on Monday September 7th as per the keen editorial eye of Miss Tracy Samantha Schmidt.

Babs said:

and a good time was had by all. it was a fun way to begin a long weekend celebrating Labor Day. the pictures posted by Brandon also show Joe the Cop and family at a table right behind Brandon.
The support for you 2 "knuckleheads with microphone" as your boss at WCPT820AM on Sundays at 2 calls the both of you, was heartwarming! What's better than family, friends and good food!

Greg Morelli said:

Best shameless plug ever, Babs.

Stephanie Walker said:

Congrats! Great post. I'd love to see the episode. Did it already air?

Greg Morelli said:

Thanks. Yes, it aired on Friday. But check it out online:

Walnut said:

This week on The Green Helmet and JOJO...
The boys must fight their foe Writer La Block...
Can JOJO take him down with his magic limp...
Can The Green Helmet craft a pun?
Tune in Find Out

Greg Morelli said:

Turns out, Writer La Block is the evil sidekick of Walnut, an embittered ex-box office worker who makes it her mission to pounce on creative ideas with "constructive criticism."

Walnut will not rest until all regional theatres in Chicago are replaced with Mega Malls. Then she plans on going fishing.

Walnut said:

Walnut takes out her sidekick Writer La Block for revealing her evil plot.

"Curse you Green Helmet! I'll Construct your Criticism!" She said, as she sat in her evil lair tying flies.

Brutally Frank said:

Finally, fame and foutune ... Oh well, a least you guys are batting 50%.

Greg Morelli said:

25% fame. 25% fortune. Just enough to make payroll.

vinvegas said:

I watched. I kept thinking "where is Frank". You might be good, but Frank is great.

Greg Morelli said:

To be Brutal, to be Frank, we're not from his loins.

shirley stone said:

Greg, your humor is priceless -- green helmet, Oprah's hair and weight, your dad's loins. Keep writing! I keep writing comments on Food Fight, but haven't seen any posted. If this note doesn't get posted, I'm doing something wrong and I won't keep writing. Shirley

Greg Morelli said:

Glad your note posted, Shirley. Please keep writing. We need voices like yours on ChicagoNow.

shirley stone said:

Greg

I continue to be one of your biggest fans. Is this the year you and Joey are coming to snowboard our mountain?

Heard your grandpa was in the hospital. Thinking of all of you.

Shirley

Greg Morelli said:

Grandpa Bernie came home today from the hospital. Thanks for the thoughts. Sure would be nice to see the mountains again.

Especially from on top of a snowboard.

rainbow said:

where´s joey´s brickhouse located?

Joey Morelli said: