Learning how to make fish at home can be intimidating. There are so many mistakes you can make and then what do you do if you mess it up? Woof.
One of the easiest fish recipes I like is baking a nice filet of fish in parchment paper. I know that might sound fancy or challenging, but it’s actually very straightforward and so yummy. You simply lay your filet of fish and all the spices and veggies in the parchment paper, wrap it up and bake. SO easy.
For this recipe I baked red snapper, but there are a lot of different kinds of fish that will work well. The herbs and veggies help brighten the fishes flavor and the parchment paper helps keep the fish moist. It makes for a lovely, flavorful meal that is light and healthy!
Prep: 20 minutes | Total 1 hour | Serves 2
- 1 lb. fresh snapper filet
- 1 tbls. sugar
- Pepper for seasoning
- 2 1/2 tbls. kosher salt
- 10 baby onions or ramps
- 10 – 15 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbls. white wine vinegar
- 5 tarragon sprigs
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 tbls. unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 tbls. water
- 1 lemon
- 3- 5 garlic cloves
- Arrange the fish in a shallow baking dish. In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup of water with the sugar, pepper and 2 1/2 tablespoons of kosher salt and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until the salt and sugar dissolve. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in 3 cups of ice water. Pour the cold brine over the fish and let stand at room temperature for 25 minutes. Remove the halibut from the brine and pat dry; discard the brine. Season the fish lightly on one side with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°. Arrange a 12-by-32-inch piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Place the fish on the paper and add the tomatoes, onions, thyme and tarragon. Next, add the butter, garlic and sprinkle a bit of kosher salt on top. Chop lemon into 4 slices and add it to the fish, squeezing some juice on the fish too. Lastly, add the water. Fold the parchment over the fish and pleat, fold and crimp the edges to seal.
- Roast for 20 – 30 minutes, until the halibut is just opaque throughout. Transfer the packet to a serving platter, open and serve.
Type your email address in the box and click the “create subscription” button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.