To me, Superbowl Sunday is about the food and the game, most of the time. However, I have very little interest in the Eagles or the Patriots. SO, this year, it is ALL about the food.
I wanted to share a recipe from SkinnyTaste, in case you are looking for a fun appetizer, that’s a healthy alternative.
Mini bell pepper nachos. Genius.
Low-carb, topped with ground turkey, spices and all your favorite toppings make this dish an excellent appetizer, that’s light.
I tend to add more flavor so I made some adjustments to Gina’s recipe by using turkey sausages instead of ground turkey. I made these nachos with two regular Italian-seasoned turkey sausages and one spicy (casings removed). I also added some red pepper flakes and a bit more garlic. Even if you do not like spicy nachos, you can buy Italian-seasoned turkey sausages, and it will have a bit more flavor than simple ground turkey.
You can get creative with the toppings too, there are no rules here.
Prep: 10 minutes | Total: 45 minutes
- olive oil spray
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey or 3 Turkey Sausages (casings removed)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken broth, low sodium
- 21 mini rainbow peppers, halved and seeded (about 13 oz seeded)
- 1 cup sharp shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp light sour cream
- 2 tbsp sliced black olives (optional)
- 1 jalapeno, sliced thin (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a large baking try with parchment or aluminum foil. Lightly spray with oil.
- Spray oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and cilantro and saute about 2 minutes, add ground turkey, salt, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, cumin and cook meat for 4 to 5 minutes until meat is completely cooked through. Add 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and chicken broth, mix well and simmer on medium for about 5 minutes, remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, arrange mini peppers in a single layer, cut-side up close together.
- Fill each with cooked ground turkey mixture, then top with shredded cheese and jalapeno slices, if using.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and top with black olives, sour cream and cilantro or toppings of your choosing. Serve immediately.
Type your email address in the box and click the “create subscription” button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.