The digital age makes a break up a hundred times more difficult. The only way you can pretend your ex doesn’t exist is if you dig yourself a hole in the middle of the woods and live inside of it for a couple months…leaving all technology behind. Imagine something similar to Brendan Frasier and Alicia Silverstone in Blast From The Past. (Obscure references mean you know I’m back.)
TDH and I bonded over being early adopters of Twitter. I encouraged him to start a blog and even advised on platform, content and title. His Facebook is more active than most stud farms. I have his cell, work and work cell numbers. I’m on his BBM (BlackBerry Messenger) and Gchat. In short, I am inundated with methods to both get updates and get in touch. It is not helpful.
Breaking up is so much different now. I’m here for you. Follow these five easy steps and you’ll soon realize that out of sight really is out of mind.
- Immediately stop following him on Twitter. You do not need to see his name, photo or grammatically incorrect updates in your timeline. You will not regret doing this. My friends did this while I wasn’t looking.
- Rename them in BBM. I chose a new name that put him at the bottom of the list and made me remember why we weren’t together. It hasn’t been super effective (I’m awful at keeping things to myself…obviously), but at least it makes me think twice. To change, highlight their name in your contact list, select “View Contact” and it’s all easy from there.
- Write down his phone numbers, but then delete them and hide the paper somewhere out of sight. This way you can’t just call or text in moments of weakness. You will also be able to identify his number if necessary. In a few weeks, you can reassess if you even want the number in your phone at all. I’m willing to bet that you’ll be ready to let it go for good.
- Set the privacy settings of facebook so that his updates don’t show up in your newsfeed. I had no idea this was possible, so special thanks to The Frisky. Unfriending is just not a good idea. Unless he did something awful like punch your grandma, you look like such a petty tool.
- Bet yourself that you can go one full week without checking any of his online properties. Even if you make it more difficult to run across, it’s still possible to manually check up on him. I’m promising myself something special from Victoria’s Secret. I really want that lingerie!!
In the words of any tv or movie gangster, “Forgettaboutit.”