I am disgusted and horrified by the news that parents and children are being separated at the border under the Trump administration.
The image of Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice when her child is ripped away from her and the famous painting The Scream (gallery at end of post) keep popping in my head as I read articles, search for facts and seek ways I can help.
I don't draw comparisons or parallels with these images. Rather the images illustrate the sheer horror of what is happening to parents and children in our country.
And how do we go on and drink our coffee and go about our day when we know this is happening?
According to the website Political Charge here are some action items:
- Contact your U.S. Senators and Representatives. Their job is to conduct oversight of DHS–they must hold DHS accountable. Simply say, “I am outraged by how our government is treating children at the border. What is my Senator/Rep doing about this?” Find your Senators here. Find your Representative here. If you use 5 Calls to contact your reps, they have a script on their system for this issue already.
- The ACLU is gathering signatures to petition Kevin K. McAleenan, Commissioner of United States Customs and Border Protection to stop the government from abusing immigrant children. You can find the petition here.
- You can contact ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) directly. Write to them here or call them at 1-866-DHS-2-ICE.
- NEW: The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights has recommended guidelines for human rights at international borders which you can read here. The reported actions our DHS is taking do not comply with these guidelines. You can contact the UN Office for Human Rights here.
- NEW: Amnesty International has been calling for an end to the U.S. policy of separating children at the border. Their call to action can be found at the end of this post here.
- NEW: Americans of Conscience has a list of 7 other U.S. officials who need to hear from us, plus a script to use. That list is here.
- DEVELOPING: There is a nascent effort to organize #WhereAreTheChildren marches for June 14. Check here for more information.
One month ago, an official from DHS admitted under questioning in a congressional hearing that the agency could not account for nearly 1,500 unaccompanied minors who arrived at the border, nearly 19% of the minors in their custody. ~Political Charge
On Twitter a woman named Josie Duffy Rice posted a long thread that presented points and counterpoints to whether children are "lost" and what is or isn't happening.
Now that we’re all on twitter because of this game, I am making a public service announcement: PLEASE STOP SHARING THAT STORY ABOUT 1500 KIDS MISSING. The outrage I’ve seen is a result of a total misinterpretation and could SERIOUSLY threaten the children you want to save.
— josie duffy rice (@jduffyrice) May 28, 2018
For every point she makes someone replies with an opposing view. What's the truth? And while facts are essential the back and forth begins to feel like twisting a kaleidoscope or "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic".
This country's morality is sinking right into the sinkhole on the White House lawn. How do we chip away at indecency that is beyond the pale driven by a man in power who is the worst of all of us?
Let's keep are eyes on tasks, stay watchful and quite honestly pray to whomever you deem appropriate. And may that higher power watch over these children and bring them back to the safety and comfort of their parents' arms.