In the time that I have been a part of Corporate America, I find that there are five key things that always seem to be an issue that make employees unhappy at work. This is my list of the top 5 reasons your employer makes you miserable.
In last weeks article, I gave the folks who read my blog an apology on behalf of all the jerks they've worked with. A well deserved apology too! I hoped you all enjoyed it and felt better afterwards. Here's a link in case you missed getting your apology. (I've Been A Jerk And I Owe You An Apology).
This week, I want to focus on the things that the company itself, not the employees do, that make us so miserable at work, in hopes that someone who can and wants to make changes will read this.
5. Not making the working enviornment conducive of the job at hand - If you're going to have 50 people in an office and each is required to have things that they need only for work, give them the space to keep those things at work.
If your employees work in a call center environment, get them headphones that will help them actually hear what YOUR customers are saying. Don't make your employees beg for the things they need to do the job!
4. Double talking your employees - I've found this a lot in sales environments. You tell your employees what sales numbers they need in order to be successful at your company.
But you know that in order to get those numbers they will have to do things "outside" the guidelines of how they're supposed to get those numbers. Stop doing that! It makes your employees angry!
3. Hiring managers that don't know how to manage people - You have this person who always gets the job done! But that doesn't mean that this person makes a good manager. They need more than being good at their previous position.
It might be good to have someone who can share best practices with others. But if they have no interpersonal skills and do not know how to motivate people in a POSITIVE way, they are not management material! Stop hiring managers that suck!
2. Not giving employees enough time off - Employers will tell you that they care about your life outside of work.
But they give you limited time to heal from sickness in the form of 5 sick days or less for an ENTIRE year. Some employers don't even have that! Don't REQUIRE overtime on a daily basis! I need my time away from work!
Let us have more than two days to bounce back after the loss of a loved one. Give us time to really get better after a sickness. Some people need/want overtime. Some don't. Let us choose!
People will sometimes need more than two days off in a week, let them have it when they really need it!
1. Not appreciating your employees - Big companies will tell you that they appreciate all your hard work. Then, your job responsibilities increase by 50%, but your pay increases by 1%.
Later, your benefits decrease but cost you more. You've spoken to your manager etc about the same issue, over and over, but nothing ever changes.
If you TRULY appreciate your employees, act like it! And if you don't care about your empoyees, stop saying you do!
Ok Corporate America, there's the list of things you can do to increase employee rentention and get a better days work from the people who work to make your company a success!
Work on these first and we'll talk later about the other things you can do to make your business the best place to work!
Alright, maybe asking you to be the best is too much. But how about we settle on a decent place to work? Just think about it and let me know.
And as usual, have a GREAT day at work today, or, at the very least, don't do anything that will get you fired and/or arrested!
The Working Poor
Have a work story that you'd like to share?
E-mail me at email@example.com
I will not tell anyone it's you!
"Like" and share this article if you agree!
Leave your comments below. They are welcomed!
Yes, please and thank you!