Raise your hand if you received a Harry and David gift basket from a family member or coworker over the holiday season? Keep em up if you made a resolution to eat healthier in 2013. Inside most of those gift baskets usually lies a small package of smoked salmon. I'm willing to be that 95% of the time it gets over looked or tossed.
Why am I telling you all this? Because you are missing out. Oh don't give me that look. I promise if you close your eyes and try it you will love it. I'm kind of under the impression if you smoke something, its chances of being the bomb(just said it) are on your side.
Inspired by the smoked salmon, cream cheese, onion flavor combination I love so much and the red and green onions from Blue Heaven, this little concoction was born. The fact that this scramble is omega 3 and protein rich is just an added bonus.
Light and Creamy Smoked Salmon Scramble
- 1/4 cup red onions
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 6 eggs(I used three whole and three whites), beaten
- 2 handfuls of spinach(anyone else ready for garden greens?)
- fillet of smoked salmon
- 1 Laughing Cow light swiss cheese wedge
- hefty spoonful of whipped low fat cream cheese
- a few shakes of crushed red pepper is optional, but encouraged
- Sauté onions in olive oil and season with salt and peppers(crushed red for me!)
- Once tender add spinach and combine
- Crumble in salmon and top with eggs
- Add cheeses
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until eggs set.
The husband loved it so much he requested it be added to the usual Saturday morning breakfast rotation. If I were you, I wouldn't wait until next years holiday gift basket to make this scramble happen.
What is the first thing you go for in a gift basket?
Previous Post: Blue Heaven
Filed under: Recipes