Ever find yourself frantically scrambling around your kitchen trying to figure out what to make for an unexpected guest?
This seems to happen more often than not at our house and one thing I know I can always rely on is baked oatmeal. I know that some people turn up their nose to oatmeal but I promise you baking it turns it into a creamy custard like treat that will have all your guests asking for more. Not to mention your house will smell amazing.
Let's get to the recipe, shall we?
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup almond or regular milk
- 1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 3 generous tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ripe mashed bananas
- 2 cups frozen pitted cherries
- 1/2 cup cashews
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a large bowl, combine oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, yogurt, egg, maple syrup and vanilla
- Stir in bananas, cherries, and cashews
- Pour into a prepared 8*8 pan and bake until firm and golden brown on top, about 45 minutes
- Spoon into bowls and enjoy
Don't have the above fruit on hand? Just use what you have. This recipe is perfect for the morning after a holiday. Steal the innards from any leftover pie in place of frozen fruit. The above pictures contain leftover cherry pie from Thanksgiving.
What is your go-to meal for guests?
Filed under: Recipes