I am! Not only are my eats influenced by my childhood but also the seasons. In our house growing up, summers were for grilling and s'mores on the bonfire and cold winter days were for making soup.
Throw everything in the pot kind of soups were Dad's specialty and I follow the same recipe. It's always a good way to use up what you have - like the last three frozen toms(from the garden last summer) were entering the use it or lose it stage
And a can of chipotle peppers that had been staring at me every time I opened my pantry also made the cut.
I initially intended to use them in butternut squash soup but it just never happened so veggie soup with a chipotle kick is what your getting instead ;).
Into the pot:
- Sauté four carrots and one yellow onion in EVOO
- In a blender, combine one can of low sodium chicken stock, three skinned tomatoes, and three chipotle peppers
- Add 1/2 cup barley to blender goods and pour into sautéed veggies and cook for 15-20 minutes
- Toss in one cup each of frozen corn and peas, half a can of low sodium garbanzo beans, and a few large handfuls of spinach
- Serve topped with some low fat shredded cheese blend
Filed under: soup