We do a pretty good job of getting out and about to check out new things. But sometimes we definitely get in a rut.
I thought that it might be a good idea to think ahead to 2014 and plan for a couple of new experiences for our family. Here are my ideas for 2014 family fun.
- Go on a sailboat in Lake Michigan. Thus far, our local boating experiences have been limited to water taxis and the architectural boat tour. I'd love to show the kids (and myself frankly) the city from the vantage point of the lake itself.
- Go to Symphony Center. My husband and I make it to Symphony Center from time to time but I've heard wonderful things about the family programming options as well. The CSO Family Matinee Series seems like it is about our speed.
- Vist Starved Rock State Park. I've heard that this is a great weekend getaway for Chicago-area families.
- Take our new puppy to a dog beach. We've driven up and down Lake Shore Drive countless times when my kids have asked, "Mom, when we have a dog, can we bring him to the dog beach?" Now that we have a pup of our own, we have to make that happen.
- Visit the Ledge at Willis Tower and take a cool photo.
- Take advantage of a family program at the Museum of Contemporary Art during the summer (it's been a long time since we visited and the kids were too little to really remember the excursion).
- Check out the Art Institute's programming for tweens.
- Take the kids ice skating at the Farm-in-the-Zoo.
- Check out a Bulls Game. We live less than two miles from United Center. We've got to get down there for a basketball game this winter.
- Hit the lakefront path on a family-sized quad bike (going to be tough to convince my husband on this one).
Happy 2014 to you and yours. Hope it is a fun one!