It's that time of year again. The semi-annual condo expo is happening tomorrow at Navy Pier--but it's not what you think. It's so much more. And if you have the time and the inclination I would highly recommend taking a peek.
When I first heard about the expo from a friend a few years ago, something about it gave me the impression that it was some type of mass "open house" to connect buyers with condos for sale. Or, I thought the benefits were limited to a small subset of people who are condo owner-occupants. Little did I know that this event is one of the BEST resources for those who already own condos, yes, but also for owners of any type of residential property (either for private living or as landlord/investors).
Translation: if you own any type of structure in which humans live and breath then you might benefit from attending the condo expo.
The Cooperator Expo Chicagoland bills itself as "Chicagoland's Biggest & Best Condo, HOA, Co-op & Apt Expo!" and "a must attend for all board members, property managers, condo, HOA, & co-op decision makers and apartment building owners." After visiting five expos over the last few years as an independent landlord looky-loo, I would have to strongly agree. The condo expo comes around twice a year, once in spring and once in fall. It offers workshops mainly geared toward condo living, but some of the topics can be helpful to anyone who manages property and tenant interaction. Some of this year's topics are:
- Saving Big on Utilities--Cutting Costs While Delivering 5-Star Service
- Privacy...or Prying? Striking a Balance Between Security and Residents' Rights
- It's Your Money--Appealing Association Property Taxes
- Tough Cases--Handling Difficult Situations and Resolving Conflict
- Chicago's 'Wet' Buildings--Moisture Intrusion, Mold, and How to Fix Them
While I really enjoy the workshops, what really draws me is the chance to check out more than 300 vendors who offers goods and services for building owners. Talking to different vendors over the years has been a real education for me as I have learned about resources I never would have imagined. As a property nerd, discovering this expo was a dream for me. If you can't make this one, why not add your name to their mailing list so you can have one more thing to look forward to this spring?
Previous Urban Landlady posts about the expo:
- Get ready for the spring condo owners expo! (mentions a great concrete repair service)
- The Weird and Wonderful Things I Saw at the Condo Expo (turned unused space into rentable storage units for tenants, leasing coin-op laundry equipment, detailed accents for vintage buildings)
- More weird and wonderful things from the condo expo (dying brick to change a facade, crime scene cleanup, the wrong kind of "green roof," bedbug-sniffing dogs)
- The best time of year for updating your windows (a budget-friendly way to improve energy efficiency, save money and protect the facade of vintage buildings)
Be the first to read new Urban Landlady blog posts. Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.