I love to entertain especially in the summer when the kids can play in the yard and the adults can sit in the sun and catch up about how fast life is going by. Or at least try to chat as we chase after the little ones.
I don't love to be stressed in the kitchen, I want to enjoy my guests and look them in the eyes instead of them looking at my butt while I quickly try to finish cooking dinner.
This black bean corn salad from One Upon A Chef is better if you make it in advance. Therefore I can take my time in the kitchen in the morning chopping the fresh veggies and savoring the smell of the lime juice hours before my guests arrive. Using only one bowl, all the ingredients minus the avocado are put in mixed and then placed in the refrigerator for hours or even over night.
The flavors that come up when given time to marinate are really what make this dish stand out from others. As for the kids, I received all thumbs up even from my littlest critic.
Black Bean Salad with Corn, Red Peppers, Avocado and Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 ears fresh cooked corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots, from one medium shallot
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 9 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, best quality such as Colavita
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (be sure to zest limes before juicing them)
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 2 Hass avocados, chopped
- Combine all ingredients except for avocados in a large bowl and mix well. Cover and chill for a few hours or overnight. Right before serving, add avocados and mix gently, being careful not to mash avocados. Garnish with a more chopped cilantro if desired. Serve at room temperature.
Please share your Meatless Monday recipes below in the comments or on Facebook here and type your email address in the box below and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.