Today is the first Monday of 2013. Whether you made resolutions, intentions or nothing; today is a good day to start off the year eating meatless one day a week. If you missed it, here is a reminder of all the benefits for your body and environment by simply eliminating animal products on Mondays.
Rachel from Chewables Chicago is the guest writer for today's recipe. This cheesy, filling dish is an easy foray into the world of vegetarian cooking (I'm going to try a dairy-free version). Check out Chewables Chicago and look out for a restaurant review from me this month!
* * *
Hello Ups and Downs readers! This is Rachel from over at Chewables Chicago, where I blog about healthy eating both at home and out. I am thrilled to guest post for Meatless Monday.
This recipe is one of my favorite go-to weeknight dinners, particularly once the weather turns cold. It’s hearty yet healthy, relatively inexpensive, and, of course, meatless. Because it’s just my husband and me, this recipe calls for only 1 acorn squash and serves 2. But it’s easy to double or triple (or more) the recipe as needed. I hope you enjoy!
Stuffed Acorn Squash
Salt and pepper
½ onion, diced
½ tablespoon butter
1 apple, diced (I don’t peel to save time, but it is good peeled, too)
¼ cup golden raisins
½ cup 2% cottage cheese (I like Breakstone cottage cheese)
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese, optional
- Halve acorn squash and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Place acorn squash cut side down on cookie sheet sprayed with pam. Cook in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, or until nearly tender.
- While squash is baking, sauté onions in butter over medium high heat for about 5 minutes. Add apples and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in raisins and cottage cheese. Add salt to taste.
- Stuff filling into acorn squash and wrap in tin foil. Place in 350 degree oven for another 5 minutes. (Note: you can also refrigerate the stuffed squash wrapped in tin foil and heat in the oven later, making this a great make-ahead recipe).
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, if desired
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
* * *
For more Meatless Monday recipes, join the fun on Facebook here.