Weekends usually consist of cheat eating. Somehow between the change up in schedule, my husband's influence and free time, it happens. Although not an excuse, I'm often a little bit anxious for Monday to come. Back to normalcy, our schedule and clean eating.
With a busy week ahead, I knew I needed this week's Meatless Monday post to be soup with both a kick and some comfort. I've been missing dairy and coconut milk is an ideal substitute that is easy to digest, builds strong bones, balances blood sugar and provides Omega 3s.
From finding this recipe to eating it, it was less than two hours including a trip to the grocery store for a few of the ingredients. The Thai inspired broth is the highlight and can easily be made more mild or spicy depending on the amount of curry paste used.
- 6 c. vegetable broth
- 1-inch ginger, peeled and cut into slices
- 8 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
- 14 oz. firm tofu, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 yellow pepper thinly sliced
- 1-13.5 oz. can lite coconut milk
- 3 tbsp. red curry paste
- 2-3 tsp. brown sugar (optional)
- sliced green onions, cilantro & basil leaves, and lime wedges for serving
- Bring broth and ginger to a boil over high heat. Once broth has come to a boil, use a slotted spoon to remove ginger. Add mushrooms and tofu and reduce heat to medium-low; cook about 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are softened.
- Stir in coconut milk, curry paste, and brown sugar. Remove from heat and ladle into bowls; serve with green onions, cilantro, basil, and lime wedges.