Home Again (from Kyrgystan) and Back to Central Asia

I've been back almost a week and I think I'm finally over my jet lag. Today is the first day I haven't awakened at 3:30 am.

I started on my trip back at 6:30 am. on the North side (the sunny side) of Lake Ysyk-Kul last Tuesday. We arrived back in Bishtek (Originally called Bishpek) about 4:00 pm.  No time to rest although we did have our rooms back at the 5 star Hyatt Regency. Instead we used the time to run to the local Department store to pick up T shirts for the men back home and then returned to our rooms with just enough time to repack our suitcases before we met for our final vodka drinks at 6 pm. Then dinner at the hotel at 7 pm, after dinner drinks at 8:30 pm., finish packing, get our suitcases out in the hall by 11:40 and onto the bus at midnight for our flights back home. Our flight took off from Bishkek at 3:50 am. and arrived in Istanbul at 6:30 am (with a 3 hour time change). Then a seven hour wait until we could board our flight to Chicago at 1:30 pm. Twelve hours of flying and we finally landed at O'hare at 6:30 p.m. Charlie was there with his A-1 Limo to take me home and turn me and the suitcases over to a cheerful housesitter and two ecstatic, tail wagging, nose snuggling dogs.

Yesterday  I transferred my photographs to the computer. I'll begin to get them onto this blog shortly. In the meantime, I'll also try to fill in the holes in my itinerary that you didn't get to read about because I never had the time to edit them (the bumpy bus ride made havoc with my typing) or transfer them from my phone or pieces of paper on which I wrote notes to the computer. I'll write more about Bukhara, one of my three favorite cities, as I promised our Uzbekistan guide, Eugene, and I'll include recipes that I received from our Ferghana guide, Nadya. So keep reading.


Filed under: Central Asia, Kyrgystan


Leave a comment
  • Sounds as if your trip was worth all of the travel. Looking forward to hearing more about your favorite cities.

Leave a comment