The end of the year is not just a wrapping up of 2012 and looking back. It is a kind of patting yourself on the back and saying, "I made it." ..."We made it." Congratulations.
- If you are a husband or wife, you may have had to stand tall or be strong for your partner or even stood in opposition of your partner.
- If you are a son or daughter, you may have had to help a parent through a tough time or had to hold their hand in support.
- If you are a parent, you may have been able to cheer for a child, or needed to hug them, or had to discipline them even though it might have even hurt you more. The saying, "you are only as happy as your unhappiest child" is as true as ever. And the change in happiness can be daily. Sometimes even hourly.
- Some of us might be happier than ever and living life on the upswing and wearing shades because our future is so bright, and some of us might be fighting a battle no one knows about or one that everyone knows about.
- And if you are a typical regular member of society, whether it was weather or more tragic, maybe you said..."I'm glad that wasn't me." If you are reading this, you made it. Congratulations!
So after some big "storms" this year (or not enough rain if you live in the Midwest), please remember that we don't live in a horrible world. We live in a world where horrible things happen sometimes. The world is full of wonder and beauty and we are all living the human experience, bruises and all.
I listened to this song on repeat on my hour back to Wheaton the other night. As I drove by a car accident on I80, the police and firemen were on the side of the road, just as the phrase...We'll take a cup of kindness yet, for auld lang syne. There is so much kindness in the world if you look. So many people not just doing their job, but really holding us up.
If I don't say it enough, thank you for reading. I might not know who you are, but I do think of you while I write. My wish for you is that your seas are calm in 2013.
Happy New Year!Should auld acquaintance be forgot And never brought to mind? Should auld acquaintance be forgot And days of auld lang syne? For auld lang syne, For auld lang syne, Should auld acquaintance be forgot, And days of auld lang syne. We too have run about the hills and gathered up flowers fine We wandered willy and weary foot Since auld lang syne We too have skorted in the brook From morning sun till dine But the seas between us have roared and swelled Since auld lang syne. For auld lang syne For auld lang syne The seas between us have roared and swelled Since auld lang syne So here is a hand my trusted friend and give me a hand of thine, We'll take a cup of kindness yet For auld lang syne. For auld lang syne, my dear, For auld lang syne We'll take a cup of kindness yet, For auld lang syne.
Congratulations, we made it.