Here is a really super easy recipe for soup. Your friends and family will say, “We didn’t know you knew how to make homemade soup!” and you can say, “Heck ya…there are lot’s of things you don’t know about me.”
On the 3rd day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...Tortilla Soup!
In a dutch oven (heavy pot with a lid), or pot with tin foil cover, or crock pot...
- 5 chicken breasts (large) you can even put them in frozen just add a little more time
- 2 15 oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 packet of any Mexican seasoning like salsa seasoning or packet of taco seasoning
You have no seasoning you say?? Just add:
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes (original, mild, or spicy)
- 1 tsp salt
Cook for 2 hours at 325 in the oven or adjust crock pot times for low (6-8) or high(3-4). At this point your house should smell like you've got it goin' on. Or like your mom came over and made dinner for you. It'll make you feel like a grown up.
- Take chicken out and shred (pull apart) with 2 forks
- Add chicken back into tomatoes. You could also puree the tomatoes before adding the chicken back in to make it “kid friendly no-chunks-of-tomato soup”.
- Add 1 or 2 boxes of chicken broth depending on how brothy you like it.
If your family likes things plain...it is good as is, or you can add anything else at this point. Like...
a can of Mexicali corn (drained)
black beans (drained and rinsed)
cooked pasta, etc..
Remember: the more ingredients you add you will have to add some salt. Taste it. Go gently.
As you can see...it is VERY flexible.
Top with crushed tortilla chips, fresh avocado, cilantro, sour cream, cheese…or nothing.
What… you don’t like soup? When you are done shredding the chicken don’t put it back in the tomatoes, just use it as taco meat, nacho topping, or a quesadilla ingredient instead. And if you have a blender, puree the tomato mixture and use as taco sauce.
This can be adjusted to the size of your family. ie…2-3 chicken breasts and 1 can tomatoes.
♫ ...and a partridge in a pear tree ♫
Filed under: Recipes