If it were Northwestern, UIC, Loyola, or heck, Governor's State, the team would have merited front-page status in the Chicago Tribune.
More to the point...if it were MEN celebrating a regular conference title in Division 1 basketball...we'd be rejoicing in the streets, right?
But this...no front page headlines?
The most consistently ranked, consistently coached, and consistently skilled team of the past two decades in Chicago clinched the Big East Conference regular season title after a win at St. John’s on Saturday.
They've been selected to the NCAA tournament for 11 consecutive years, and have placed as high as the Sweet 16.
That's right, it's the DePaul Blue Demons, who cut down the nets at McGrath-Phillips Arena in Lincoln Park on Tuesday night.
28-year veteran coach Doug Bruno was named Coach of the Year by the Big East Conference.
Bruno led the Blue Demons to a 24-6 record and his team finished with a 15-3 conference mark. DePaul concluded the regular season by winning 13 of its last 14 games.
And here are some more highlights:
- DePaul ranks in the top 10 in Division I in scoring offense, 3-point field goals per game, assists, steals and assist-to-turnover ratio.
- The senior trio of Jasmine Penny, Kelsey Reynolds and Kelsey Smith capped their regular season DePaul careers with a 91-74 win against visiting Georgetown at McGrath-Phillips Arena
- They forced 11 Georgetown turnovers and getting up 44 shots – including 24 three-pointers – en route to a 47-36 halftime lead.
- Star Brittany Hyrnko was ESPNW's Player of the Week. Hrynko led the BIG EAST in steals (2.8) and assists (5.7) this season. Hrynko also averaged 12.7 points per game and eclipsed the 20-point mark in six games.
- Junior guard Megan Rogowski knocked down five three-pointers en route to a game-high 21 points
- The Blue Demons lead the Big East in scoring offense (84.0), scoring margin (+13.1), field goal percentage (.452), 3-point field goals per game (9.0), 3-point field goal percentage (.366), assists (20.1), steals (11.9) and turnover margin.
- Hrynko, Jasmine Penny, Megan Rogowski and Jessica January all earned conference honors
- The Lady Blue Demons moved into the national polls in the No. 25 position earlier this week
I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE to rally around this team as they host the Big East Conference as the #1 seed.
The first round games on Mar. 8 will be played at McGrath-Phillips Arena which is located on DePaul’s Lincoln Park Campus.
The Blue Demons open the BIG EAST Tournament on Sunday Mar. 9 at 6 p.m. (CT) against either Xavier or Georgetown. The tournament’s quarterfinals, semifinals and championship games will be played at the Allstate Arena.
For more information on tickets and pricing, contact the Blue Demons.
I hope I'll see you there!!
If you liked this post, join me!
I talk sports Monday-Friday on WRLR 98.3 FM at 7:20 am. To listen on the Web: http://wrlr.fm
To subscribe to my blog: Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
You can also follow me on twitter: @alisonsmoran
Or 'like' my Token Female page