"Hot for Ginger" sounds like the title of some disgusting daywalker porn, doesn't it? That's the name chosen to represent an online dating site for redheads and redhead lovers (ew, gross, creepy). I checked the site (www.hotforginger.com) out and found:
- The site seems to be UK-based. Considering the level of "gingerism" that exists across the pond this site probably is as necessary as J-Date is here in the states.
- When I searched for any man between the ages of 18-120, it said 780 were available. That's not a lot but I guess gingers are only 2% of the Earth's population.
- However, Hot for Ginger seems to be new because it looks like several of the features (video profiles, dating diaries) have not been used by anyone.
- The business model seems faulty because anything actually interesting that I wanted to do (like take a personality test to determine best matches) required an upgrade. Since only 780 men belong to the site, I'm pretty sure no one is ready to pay $29.95 for a personality test they could take on okcupid.com for free....yet. Maybe, if the site becomes more popular, this approach could be lucrative.
- The profile fill-ins do not address motivations for joining the site (ie whether you're a ginger lover and if so, why? Answer: because you're a creep) so it's hard to tell if some of the redheaded men are on the site just because they're redheaded or if they're on the site because they're redheaded and like redheaded women (much less creepy when ginger philes are redheads themselves).
- There seem to be 2 primary demographics using the site: gingers and black men.
While my criticisms are many, the website has striking redheaded photographs that will be enough to lure any ginger phile into spending hours browsing. Fair warning though, there's a gallery called "Hot Ginger Men." Is that an oxymoron? I also suggest scrolling down the homepage and watching the "Ginger videos." The third one in particular is quite humurous, if you like British humor.
Will you be signing up for Hot for Ginger?
Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Ginger Philes, if you dare: