It’s not that I’m giving in to the hysteria about the Mayans having to go to the stationery store for a new calendar. It torques me that NASA has to expend taxpayer money to answer questions from people who went to schools where they teach hoodoo instead of science. But okay, I know a good opportunity for pageviews when I see one. Besides, who am I to criticize an event made up as a reason to drink beer.
So in this first article, I will lay out some of the craftier establishments that will be hosting special taps with beers appropriate for the Imaginary Apocalypse. And in this article, I will suggest a few appropriate beers.
Thursday, Dec. 20
End of the World Party 4:00 pm – 2:00 am
Smallbar Logan Square, 2956 N Albany, Chicago (773) 509-9888
If we're all gonna die, we may as well drink beers & die together!!
- North Coast Bourbon Barrel Old Rasputin XV
- Southern Tier Bourbon Barrel Backburner
- The Bruery Five Rings
- 3 Floyds Stack n' Stab
- Stone Enjoy By 12.21.12 IPA
- Half Acre Tugs
- Founders Backwoods Bastard
- Firestone Walker XVI
- Greenbush Ursus
- New Holland Envious
- Lagunitas Imperial Stout
- Unibroue La Fin Du Monde
- Revolution Very Mad Cow
- Casks: Solemn Oath La Grippe w/ Cocoa Nibs
Two Brothers Bourbon Soaked Vanilla Bean Northwind
Remember, we have to drink it all, because we're gonna die the next day. A night of drinks and friends. As with many events, the line-up is subject to change and surprises may or may not happen. Check the Facebook Events page.
End of the World menu with Free Beer!
Owen & Engine, 2700 N. Western Ave., Chicago (773) 235-2930
So the Mayan Calendar is ending, huh? Well, we're going to go out swinging. We'll be offering Chef Kevin's Last Meal, and from 11:30 PM-12 AM we'll be offering one free beer per person (21+). Might as well greet the nothing well lubricated.
It’s The End of The World!
The Tribes Alehouse, 11220 W. Lincoln Hwy, Mokena, IL and 9501 West 171st Street, Tinley Park, IL
Join us at Midnight on December 20th when we toast to The End Of The World! Featuring - Unibroue La Fin Du Monde and Left Hand Wake Up Dead
La Fin Du Monde Day
Many locations will be serving the logical beer for today, Unibroue La Fin du Monde. The list so far:
- The Map Room, 1949 N. Hoyne, Chicago
- The Long Room, 1612 W. Irving Park, Chicago
- Bricks, 1909 N. Lincoln, Chicago
- Hopleaf, 5148 N. Clark, Chicago
- Four Moon Tavern, 1847 W Roscoe, Chicago
- Delilah’s, 2771 N. Lincoln, Chicago
- The Bad Apple, 4300 N. Lincoln, Chicago
- The Firkin, 515 N. Milwaukee Ave., Libertyville, IL
- Guthrie's, 1300 W. Addison, Chicago
- Quenchers, 2401 N. Western Ave., Chicago
- WeeGee’s Lounge, 3659 W. Armitage Ave., Chicago
- Prairie Moon, 1502 N. Sherman, Evanston, IL
- Tribes Ale House & Grill, (see above)
- Tilted Kilt in Bolingbrook, Woodridge, and Oak Brook ($6 cask draft)
Friday, Dec. 21
11:00 am - 11:00 pm ♦ There Will Be Darkness: Black Beer & Heavy Metal Takeover
The Olympic Tavern, 2327 N. Main St., Rockford, IL (815) 962-8758
End of the world / Annual winter solstice party. Dark beer and heavy metal tap takeover. Rare, big, and unique stouts to tickle your pickle.
Scheduled to appear:
- Point 2012 Black Ale
- Flying Dog Barrel Aged Gonzo Imperial Porter
- Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout 2010 and 2012
- Bell's Expedition Stout 2011 & Double Cream Stout
- Samuel Adams Black & Brew
- Firestone Walker Wookey Jack Black Rye IPA
- Clown Shoes Vampire Slayer
- Founders Breakfast Stout
- Leinenkugel's Big Eddy Imperial Stout
- Left Hand Fade To Black vol 4., Milk Stout (nitro), and Wake up Dead (nitro)
- Guinness Irish Stout (nitro)
Check our Facebook page as we're continually adding more darkness to the list.
6:00 pm - 11:55 pm ♦ The Last Solstice
SmallBar Division, 2049 West Division St., Chicago 773-772-2727
Join SmallBar Division on this, the longest and darkest day of the year, to find out if the Mayan Calendar is right while we all sip some big winter beers and wait for the end.
- Left Hand Wake up Dead (nitro)
- Ska Euphoria
- Southern Tier Old Man Winter
- Affligem Noel
- Three Floyds Alpha Klaus
- Revolution Fistmas
- Vicaris Christmas Ale (Winter 10°)
- Mikkeller Santa’s Little Helper
- Pietra Winter Beer
- Moylans White Christmas Winter Lager
- The Bruery 5 Golden Rings
- Kulmbacher Eisbock
- Avery Old Jubilation
I'll also have my regular calendar of other weekend events soon!