1. Break down the overwhelming into smaller steps...i.e.identify what is really stressing you.
2. Remember to breathe!
3. Learn to whistle
4. Identify factors/situations causing you stress
5. Make a list of the top 3 factors
6. Face your fears - literally...physically get up and.turn around and face them...walk through them...I’m not kidding!
7. Create a plan to deal with situations that cause you stress i.e. if paying off school loans is causing stress...work with your financial planner to make a payment schedule you can live with. Ignoring the issue only brings on more stress.
8. Take a 10 minute walk twice a day
9. Drink 10 glasses of water a day....hydration reduces stress
10. Eliminate negative people from your life
11. Read a funny book i.e.”Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim” David Sedaris, “Bossy Pants” Tina Fey.
12. Laugh more often
13. Write a couple of paragraphs about what you’re doing to deal with stress. Reading about the action you’re taking to address issues helps and reinforces your commitment.
14. Go outdoors and scream at the top of your lungs....screaming is good for you...(avoid crowded places)
15. “Get out of yourself” ….volunteer and help others
16. Allow yourself to cry....
17. Spend time in silence and nature
18. Listen to peaceful music on your way to work.
19. If your self talk is negative, change it.
20. Watch a funny movie
21. Get a massage