When bad skin, happens to a good cast.

Jimmy Greenfield, our beloved leader at Chicago Now, posted today the statement, there are two kinds of bloggers, those who blog and blog consistently and those who don't.  I am the latter as of late and don't want to be this person.  I have let life get in the way of what I want to say.  Too many thoughts racing in a manic type frenzy to land on one specific topic and so I bypass posting because I can't string one concrete thought together to make a solid post.  So here is my pledge.  I am going to share the good, bad and ugly which was my original intent in starting this blog.

I have kept the extenuating circumstances of our last cast to ourselves.  We took William out of cast 9 days prior to his next casting.  When he came out he was covered in red, angry spots covering his torso.  We knew prior to William's cast off something was amiss.  William had been itching like he had ants in his pants for several weeks but nothing was visible.  We started our normal regimen of oatmeal baths and Aveeno lotion to no avail.  About 4 days prior to our return trip, we visited the Pediatrician.  William was diagnosed with contact dermatitis and staph.  4 Days of Augmentin/prednisone twice a day we returned to Chicago with only a few spots remaining.  We made the determination it was best to continue with the cast as planned rather than leave William out of cast longer.  We returned home hopeful, with continued antibiotics and prednisone, he could resume a normal casting routine.  As an added measure of comfort we use a new shirt sent by our beloved Salt Lake City friends, that contains silver thread which is anti-microbial and will help prevent skin infections.

Hindsight is 20/20.  We have been home 2 weeks.  Regular skin checks showed little or no improvement in Williams skin.  Sunday evening, I was horrified to discover his staph had returned with a vengeance.  Monday we returned to our pediatrician.  The positive from our visit, William does not have MRSA.  That was a thank you God moment!  The very thought of what the diagnosis could have brought is terrifying.  He does however have a very active Staph infection.  His meds have changed and now include a Bactrim orally, a steroid cream and a prescription strength benedryl.  We are making the decision to stay the course for now.  We will come out of the cast, if the infection doesn't improve.  William is our top priority but we are changed with being his decision makers and health care advocates.  He has come so far and has spent all but 10 months of his life fighting this monster.

I hesitated to share this in fear it would scare new families from the casting process.  Let's be clear, William has been casting for 3.5 years, he has worn 15 casts and this is the first skin infection of this level he has every had.  Minor irritations, small abrasions, yeast...yes, yes & yes.  His skin has always cleared in his 7-10 day window.  William has achieved 50 degrees (+ or -) correction.  Sometimes all the variables can be right and the process can still go awry.  From our experience, the benefit has always outweighed the risk.  It has taken a moment like this to realize how normal our first 13 casts were.  We'll keep you posted and ask for your prayers.  We want nothing more than to see William's skin clear and be able to remain in cast until May when he will have a 14 day out of cast break before getting to 16!

Until Next Time, Keep it Curvy!

Catie(Scoliosis Sucks) D.

Leave a comment