It's been a while - but I am offering a kitten socialization class at Tree House Humane Society. I call these classes Kitty-K. These are like puppy classes, except they are specifically for kittens.
Now there a few rules - the kittens must be veterinary checked. And we must have proof of that. And the kitties must be 8 to 15 weeks old.
This one 90 minute class (filmed by Animal Planet for their "Must Love Cats" program), held November 5 from 2 to 3:30 p.m. at Tree House Humane Society (Bucktown Branch), 1212 W. Carmen. There is a suggested $10 donation (it goes to Tree House, not me!).
Kitties will have time to socialize with one another (they must be brought to class in a carrier).
- You will receive a few free handouts, including one on how to acclimate kitties to the carrier - so visiting the vet or even visiting grandma's can be fun!
- You will learn how to clicker train a kitten
- You will learn the basics of cat care (tooth brushing, nail clipping, etc)
- You will have the opportunity to see your kitty play with others (nothing can be as cute - so bring a camera).
- I will talk about common cat behavior issues, including encouraging cats to scratch in all the right places (so you do NOT even think about de-claw)
- I will offer a brief talk with the class on inappropriate elimination (cats who think outside the box)....about litter box placement, choice of cat litters, etc.
- I will offer a brief talk on how to encourage peace in the home if cats aren't getting along with one another
- Exercise indoor cats? What a notion! In can be done, it's fun and it's easy....and by doing so, the bond with your cat will be enhanced and your cat may not be an statistic - being overweight which can lead to diabetes and other problems.
- I will not only talk about what to feed cats, but also how to feed them...a method to my madness.
People have phoned into Tree House saying, "I don't have a kitten, but can I still attend?" The answer is definitely YES - but you do need to leave your adult cats at him. The event is for all, but among the felines attending it's kittens only.
Register online HERE. Or cal 773-784-5488, and ask for Jenny.
Tags: Animal Planet, brushing cats' teeth, cat litter, clicker training cats, declaw and cats, dental care for kittens, kitten care, Kitten Socialization Class, litter box and cats, multicat homes, Must Love Cats, nail clipping cats, Steve Dale, Steve Dale archives