So you may not be really into beer, you might be pregnant or you just prefer to save all your calories for food. Fear not Chicago! Craft Beer week offers eaters several options during the 10 day span from May 15 through 25 when craft beer is called king and food becomes its trusty side-kick.
My favorite foodie picks are below! I'll be adding more as the week goes on so check back for updates!
Roots Handmade Pizza signature food items paired with Midwestern craft beer
Roots Pizza, 1924 W Chicago Ave, Chicago, IL
Thu, May 15th 11:00am to Sun, May 25th 2:00am
- Beer Basted Breadsticks: housemade breadsticks made with our Roots House Brew by Two Brothers that are then basted with porter and honey. Served with house cheddar cheese sauce on the side.
Pairing: Metropolitan Arc Welder Dunkel Rye
- Goat Cheese & Baby Beet Salad: Bibb lettuce topped with pistacio, sliced pear, goat cheese, roasted yellow and baby red beets, and drizzled with honey-lemon vinaigrette.
Pairing: Founders Rubaeus
- Raspberry AleGyro Sausage: charbroiled gyro sausage with feta cheese, diced red onion, and cucumber dill sauce served on house-baked French bread.
Pairing: Pipeworks Ninja Vs. Unicorn Double IPA
- Italian Beef On House-Baked Garlic French Bread: dipped in garlic au jus with your choice of sweet peppers or giardiniera. Make sure to add our housemade mozzarella cheese.
Pairing: Destihl Flanders Red Sour Ale
- Taco Pizza : A Quad Cities original- taco-seasoned housemade crumbled sausage with Quad Cities mozzarella blend and cheddar cheeses. Topped with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and taco-seasoned chips.
Pairing: Roots House Brew by Two Brothers ... $4
- Blueberry Flapjack Cake: Blueberry flapjacks layered with maple filling that are topped with toasted almonds and maple syrup.
Pairing: Greenbush Doomslayer
Xoco Revolution beer-paired menu
XOCO, 449 N Clark St, Chicago, IL
Thu, May 15th 11:00am to Sun, May 25th 2:00am
We will be serving a special month-long menu of Mexican street food paired with Revolution Brewing's beers! These dishes include...
- Hibiscus glazed grilled chicken salad with Rosa Hibiscus Ale
- Bottom Up Wit steamed mussels caldo
- Spicy, fruity smoked shortrib torta paired with Crystal Hero IPA
- Bitter chocolate, piloncillo & Eugene Porter flan
Thursday May 15:
Widmer Brothers Beer & Dessert Pairing
Fatpour Tap Works, 2005 W. Division St., Chicago, IL
Three deliciously created beers by Widmer Brothers best brewers.
- Bourbon Barrel Aged Gentlemen’s Club (colab with Cigar City Brewery) paired with Crème
- Brulee with orange zest
- Brrrbon Vanilla ‘13 paired with double layer Carrot Cake
Raspberry Russian Imperial Stout ‘13 paired with Flourless Chocolate Cake
One - $14
Two - $25
Three – 36
Flights & Bites
The Berghoff Restaurant, 17 W Adams, Chicago, IL
7:00pm to 8:00pm
In celebration of Chicago Craft Beer Week, The Berghoff Restaurant and Berghoff Brewery presents "Flights & Bites" with a Berghoff Beer Representative. Guests will enjoy educational beer and food pairings at Berghoff Bar. Sample 5 Berghoff Beers & small bite pairings, learn how each are made, and experience why they work so well together. Tickets are $10 a piece and can be purchased in advance. Buy your tickets today, as space is limited!
Beer Included: Berghoff Lager, Amber, Dark, Summer Solstice Wheat, and Hefeweizen
Half Acre/Maine Beer Co. Beer Dinner
Hopleaf Bar, 5148 N Clark St, Chicago, IL
7:00pm to 10:00pm
Hopleaf's first Beer Dinner of 2014 coincides with the start of CCBW. A 5-Course dinner created by Chef Ben Sheagren and Hopleaf's excellent kitchen team, with paired beers by Half Acre & Maine Beer Co. Dan and Dave Kleban, the brothers who founded Maine Brewing Company will be on hand for the dinner along with Gabriel and Rog from Half Acre. Event starts at 7 but dinner itself starts at 7;30. Space is limited, so book soon!
CCBW Kick off with Three Floyds
Owen & Engine, 2700 N Western Ave, Chicago, IL
5:00pm to 10:00pm
We're launching Chicago Craft Beer Week with our friends from Munster, Indiana. We're creating a trio of dishes to pair with a trio of their beers, to be announced. More details to come.
Friday May 16:
Hair Of The Dog Temperance Brunch
The Radler, 2375 N. Milwuakee Ave, Chicago, IL
11:00am to 4:00pm
What are friends for? Stop by The Radler for brunch on Friday the 16th and get your drink on with Temperance Brewing! There will be plenty of time to reminisce about forgotten moments from the night before when you're sipping a Bird Song Saison. The Radler will be running a specials all day long on Temperance beers, and we can definitely help you decide what beer to pair with our hash brown poutine or pretzel bread pudding french toast.
Crawfish Boil w/ Archaeopteryx Dreamcoat
Atlas Brewing Company/Seven Ten Lounge, 2747 N. Lincoln Ave., Chicago, IL
On Friday, May 16th we'll be cooking up a mess of crawfish and serving it with Archaeopteryx Dreamcoat Blueberry Belgian Pale Ale. $15 will get you a pile of crawfish, sides, and a 13 oz. beer. This special will be available starting at 5pm
Four Breweries and a BBQ
World of Beer Naperville, 1727 Freedom Drive, Naperville, IL
6:00pm to 11:45pm
Join us here at WOB Naperville for a very special CCBW event. We will be diving into the cellars of Ska Brewing - North Coast Brewing - New Holland Brewing and Central Waters Brewing for some tasty treats on draught. Reps will be in store and talking about their beers and We will also have tons of BBQ Pork and Brisket complete with sides from 2 Soldiers and a Marine BBQ.
He Said, She Said: Food and Beer Pairing Dinner
The Chopping Block, 222 Merchandise Mart Plaza Suite 107, Chicago, IL
6:00pm to 8:30pm
Here to take you on the ultimate American craft beer and food pairing is husband-and-wife team Mario and Stephanie Scordato. Mario, super-talented The Chopping Block sous chef, will prepare a sumptuous multicourse meal, while Stephanie, a certified cicerone, pours American craft beers and discusses the pairings.
- Sweet Pea and Pecorino Crostini: Penrose Seasonal Ale (We are going to the brewer that afternoon to see what is best!)
- Ricotta Gnocchi with Leeks, Lemon and Fava Beans: Metropolitan Krankshaft, Kolsch
- Pork Tenderloin with Arugula Salad and Tonnato Dressing: Solemn Oath Whisper Kisses, Saison,
- Herb-Crusted Lamb Chop with Crispy Artichokes and Wild Mushrooms: Two Brothers Cain and Eble
- Profiteroles with Espresso Chocolate Sauce: Finch Secret Stache, Milk Stout
$95/person. 1-week cancellation policy
Saturday, May 17:
Temperance Beer Co. Free Tasting & Craft Beer Lunch
Pizza Rustica, 3908 N. Sheridan Road, Chicago, IL
12:00pm to 3:00pm
Guests can sit and sip on free tastings with Head Brewer Claudia Jendron and nibble on amazing small plates and delicious lunch specials created by Chef Stefano Roman to pair perfectly with the beers. The afternoon event is a laid-back, fun opportunity to enjoy some incredible beers and delicious dishes. In addition, there will be fun games and prizes from Pizza Rustica and Temperance: The Grand Prize is a Temperance Beer Co. Tour for 10 people! The price for the Temperance brews will range from $7-$9 with 4oz samples available for $2.50 each.
Village Tap, 2055 W. Roscoe, Chicago, IL
- Artisan cheese plate + urgelia-aged spanish cows milk, nancy's hudson valley camembert, walnuts, fruit mostarda, sourdough toast 13 + Revolution Quad, Chicago, IL, 6 oz, 11.5% - Belgian-style abbey quadruple brewed to celebrate the 4th anniversary of Revolution Brewing. Glass 5
- Charcuterie plate + pork rillette, chicken liver mousse, olympic provisions saussion sec, house made whole grain mustard & pickles, sourdough baguette 13 + Tighthead Barrel Aged Old Kaya Dog, Mundelien, IL, 6oz, 10.3% - American-style Barleywine aged 5 months in Woodford Reserve Bourbon Barrels. Glass 5
- Roasted pork loin + cherry peppers, polenta 14 + Revolution Straight Jacket, Chicago, IL, 6oz, 13% - A Barrel-aged Barleywine with deep aromas and flavors of dark stone fruits, bourbon, molasses, toasted coconut and vanilla. Glass 6
- Chicken mole + cherry, banana, almond, guaillo, ancho, chocolate 14 + Revolution Bean Gene, Chicago, IL, 6oz, 9% - Mean Gene the bourbon-barrel aged Eugene Porter is steeped with Dark Matter coffee beans resulting in a smooth and well balanced barrel-aged coffee porter with hints of vanilla and “in-your-face” coffee flavor. Glass 6
- Chocolate mousse 6 + Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, Chicago, IL, 6oz, 14.5% - The mother of all bourbon-barrel aged imperial stouts with intense notes of charred oak, chocolate, vanilla, caramel and smoke. Glass 6.50
Sunday, May, 18:
Mexican Beer Brunch with Greenbush
Revolución Mexican Steakhouse, 3443 N. Broadway, Chicago, IL
10:00am to 2:00pm
Greenbush and Revolución are teaming up to offer a special brunch menu with recommended Greenbush beer pairings! They'll also be offering a four-beer flight for $14 as well as a special Michigan margarita made with Sunspot.
Cased Meats for a Cause
Revolution Brewing Production Brewery, 3340 N Kedzie Ave, Chicago, IL
3:00pm to 6:00pm
Cased Meats for a Cause seeks to celebrate the fantastic food, drink, and music that the city of Chicago has to offer as well as to highlight some truly excellent local charitable organizations. Kick off Chicago Craft Beer Week in style by ingesting creative compositions from some of the best sausage makers in the city of Chicago, imbibing some silky suds from the award-winning brewmasters at Revolution Brewing, and indulging in the lyrical musings of some fantastic Chicago based musicians all while supporting local families impacted by Rett Syndrome.
Tickets cost $50 and will include:
- Music from Weepin' Willows and the Lawrence Peters Outfit
- A full Revolution Brewing lineup
- Organic, specialty cased meats from the amazing chefs at Publican Quality Meats, The Butcher & Larder, The Radler
Monday, May 19:
Central Waters Beer Dinner
Farmhouse Chicago, 228 W. Chicago Ave., Chicago, IL
6:00pm to 9:00pm
Paired beer dinner with Central Waters Brewing for $40. The pairings and menu are as follows:
- Course 1- Riviere Coulee with Pork Terrine, Caramelized Young Michigan Peaches, Pea Shoots, Seared Spring Onions, Pickled Rhubarb, Toast
- Course 2- Hop Rise Nitro with Pan Roasted Whitefish, Local Mache and Asparagus Salad, Bread and Butter Pickled Baby Turnips, Malted Mustard Seed Sauce
- Course 3- Bourbon Cherry Stout with Housemade Elk Sausage, Morrel Mushrooms, Charred Brussel's Sprouts, Creamy Heirloom Grits
- Course 4- Illumination with Pistachio Tart, Vanilla Ice Cream and Red Grapefruit
For tickets please call Farmhouse Chicago
Monthly Beer Dinner- Destihl's
tokio pub, 1900 E Higgins Rd, Schaumburg, IL
tokio pub hosts a monthly beer dinner the last Monday of the month, however in honor of Chicago Craft Beer Week we moved the date to May 19th! Four courses prepaired by our Executive Chef Pete Balodimas paired with four of Destihl's amazing brews, all for $35
- Round One: Rabbit Rillette, sesame brittle, fresh peas, plantain, preserved lemon
- Round 2: House-Made “Tater Tots”, salmon collar, mizuna, red onion jam, miso-cured egg yolk
- Round Three: Suckling Pig, pickled rhubarb, Tokyo turnips, strawberry consommé, sugar snaps
- Round Four: Buttermilk Biscuit, sour cherry, buttermilk sorbet, candied ginger, fennel
Temperance Beer Dinner!
Amelia's Good Food & Drink, 7330 Harrison Street, Forest Park, IL
Celebrate CCBW with a beer dinner featuring Temperance Beer Company from Evanston, Il. They make fantastic beer, and we're excited to see it paired with Amelia's Scratch-Made, Farm to Table Food!
- Amelia’s House Made Pretzels: Bite sized hot, soft pretzels with beer/cheddar & honey/mustard dipping sauces
- Course 1 Bird Song Saison
Chopped Ahi tuna dressed with shallots, capers, tomato concasse, cilantro, citrus, garlic, ginger, spice, & olive oil in a crunchy, unsweetened waffle cone made by The Brown Cow Ice Cream Parlor (Forest Park, Il)
- Course 2 Smittytown Tart
Amelia’s Hush Puppies
Traditional fried cornmeal dish made with Illinois organic Blue Hopi cornmeal stuffed with white pepper crusted Dreymiller and Krey bacon (Hampshire,Il), Spence Farm (Fairbury, Il) spring onions & Sharp cheddar from Renards Dairy (Sturgeon Bay, WI) and house made jelly made out of Smittytown Tart (Evanston, Il)
- Course 3 Might Meets Right Imperial Coffee Stout
Amelia’s Mac ‘N Cheese
Creamy, smokey, 4 cheese sauce tossed with cavatappi curly pasta, roasted crimini mushrooms, white truffle oil, and organic pea shoots from North Avoca Farm in Fairbury, Il
- Course 4. Freedive Imperial Black Ale
“Jakes Country Meats” (Cassopolis, MI) pork belly, brined, dry rubbed, slow braised in chipotles and beer; then pressed, chilled, cut into bite sized pieces, flash fried, tossed in Amelia’s BBQ sauce and served up, lolly pop style!
- Course 5 Root Down Porter
Amelia’s handmade chocolate ganache filled chocolates
Camembert ice cream topped of cinnamon French toast
Butterscotch pudding stuffed mini beignets
Tuesday, May 20:
Begyle Beer Dinner
Fountainhead, 1970 W Montrose Ave, Chicago, IL
Join us for a unique dinner with our neighbor, Begyle Brewing. Chef Cleetus Friedman will be creating a seasonal paring menu as we feature:
- Comb the Desert
- Imperial Flannel Pajamas
Hop Cast Live with Penrose and Perennial Beers & Brewers
Hopleaf Bar, 5148 N Clark St, Chicago, IL
A live podcast? Is that even a thing? Well - sort of, so we're making an event out of it. Your ticket purchase includes (4) 8oz Penrose and Perennial beers alongside some choice cheese & charcuterie. Join us as we eat and drink all while taping of an episode of Hop Cast featuring brewers Phil Wymore and Tom Korder. And please bring those tough questions, because we're all about audience participation at this party.
$25 tickets on sale at Brown Paper Tickets—limited to 30 reservations.
Allagash and Solemn Oath Beer Dinner
Dusek's, 1227 W. 18th St., Chicago, IL
Tue, May 20th 7:00pm to Wed, May 21st 2:00am
On Tuesday May 20th 2014 at 7pm, Join Chef Jared Wentworth and the folks from both Solemn Oath and Allagash Brewing for a truly special beer dinner. In the spirit of Chicago Craft Beer week, these breweries have teamed up to offer some of their limited release ales as inspiration for Chef’s 5 course meal. $75 per person
- Sea Urchin and Maine Lobster Cavatelli, Bottarga, Quail Egg, Caramelized Leek, Fennel with SOB ‘HEXAFOOS’ – AMERICAN FARMHOUSE ALE
- Sunny Side Duck Egg, Smoked Oyster Hash, Black Truffle Vinaigrette with SOB ‘WHISPER KISSES’ – SAISON ALE
- Roast Pork Belly, Creamed Ramp, Porcini, Artichoke en Barigoule, Natural Jus with ALLAGASH ‘AVANCE’ – BARREL AGED SOUR w/ STRAWBERRIES
- Seared Dry Aged Ribeye, Bone Marrow Dumplings, Pickled Garlic Scapes, Nameko Mushrooms, House Kimchi Broth with SOB ‘E-VILLE’ – AMERICAN BROWN ALE
- Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate with ALLAGASH ‘BLACK’ – BELGIAN STYLE STOUT
Peckish Meets Temperance Beer Dinner
Peckish Pig, 623 Howard Street, Evanston, IL
Join us as Evanston’s first brewery meets Evanston’s first brewpub! We’re joining forces with Temperance Beer Company to create a fantastic beer dinner event, featuring six delicious courses, paired with a selection of great brews from each brewery! This is a limited seating event, so call now to buy your ticket! $55/person. Must be 21+ to attend.