I’m super excited to announce that this coming Monday, January 27th I’ll be featured on Dr. Oz for his healthy recipe challenge! The show will air on FOX at 3:00pm CT and the episode should also be online here after the show airs.
Dr. Oz producers challenged me to create a healthier version of Chicago’s deep-dish pizza. Always up for a challenge I put my nose to the pizza stone and came up with a delicious alternative that’s figure-friendly and perfectly portioned! My miniature deep-dish pizzas made in a muffin tin give you all the dough and cheese you’re looking for in a bite-sized low-fat option!
The show aired and I had about .5 seconds of airtime but I made it! You can check out the YouTube video clip of the show here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNqk36jWK_A.
Ingredients (makes 5 mini pizzas)
- ½ package of prepared whole-wheat pizza dough
- ½ cup fat free ricotta cheese
- ½ cup low fat part skim mozzarella
- Dashes of basil, oregano, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder
- ¼ cup fat free pizza sauce
- 1 large tomato
- Andouille chicken sausage (fully cooked)
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Spread a little flour on a counter top and measure out 5 small dough balls and roll or stretch into 3 inch circles
- Combine both cheeses into a bowl and season with basil, oregano, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder to taste
- Chop tomato into small pieces and combine with pizza sauce
- Chop Andouille chicken sausage into small bits
- Spray the muffin tin with olive oil cooking spreay
- Press pizza dough into bottom of the muffin tin and up around the edges
- Start with layer of tomato sauce mixture, Andouille chicken sausage, more tomato sauce, and top with cheese mixture
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until crust is crispy and cheese is starting to brown on top
- Let cook for a few minutes and serve!
One of the coolest things about the Dr. Oz segment is that I was able to get in touch with several other great food blogger from around the country whose recipes will also be featured tomorrow on the show! Check out their blogs below and keep an eye out for the recipes to pop up on their websites within the next day or so!
Jeanette's Healthy Living: Skinny New England Clam Chowder
I Breathe...I'm Hungry: Southern Fried Chicken (Low Carb and Gluten Free)
The Newlywed Notebook: Chipotle Avocado Mac and Wisconsin Cheese (Gluten Free)
What's Cooking in the Burbs: Deep Dish Spinach and Garlic Whole Wheat Pizza
Kitchen Concoctions: Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Maple Pecan Barbecue Sauce
Some Kinda Good: Grilled Georgia Peaches with Toasted Granola & Local Honey
Gimme Some Oven: Skinny Kansas City BBQ Chicken Wings
Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.