Meal Service Name: CJK Foods
Description: Founder Chef Josh Katt and acclaimed Chef John Peters (Alinea, Trio, NAHA) create ready-to-eat nutrient-dense meals made with organic superfoods that are locally sourced, many right from Chef Josh's rooftop garden. CJK Foods' nutrition philosophy is backed by progressive nutrition research and marked with a seal of approval from the company's holistic-minded registered dietitian.
Experience: I received a personal delivery from CJK Foods with a few separate meals and decided to bring a few home and keep some at work for lunch. Usually I’m not a huge fan of pre-cooked and packaged foods. I like when something is fresh, which is why I buy a lot of my ingredients the day of for a meal I’m making that evening and plan on eating right away.
I was pleasantly surprised by the first meal I tried by CJK, which was a detoxifying beet salad with chicken. Ingredients were listed on the package and included: pasture raised chicken, organic beets, CJK lettuce blend, toasted paleo granola, cherry-chia kombucha vinaigrette, organic red Onion, organic cucumbers, and organic quinoa. I really liked the way this salad came together. I ended up dumping out all the ingredients into a large bowl and tossing it with the dressing that came on the side, which by the way was a perfect amount. The chicken in the salad was very flavorful and I loved that the quinoa in the salad settled my carb craving which usually occurs around lunch time.
The second meal I tried was the New Mexico Paleo Turkey Burger: pasture raised turkey stuffed with organic baby spinach, organic kale, topped with bacon, sautéed energy packed greens and spices served with almond crusted cauliflower and a side of guacamole. Instead of heating up the burger which can sometimes cause over-doneness I decided to eat my cold, and it was an excellent choice! The burger was very flavorful and cooked through, and the addition of spinach really kept me feeling full. I also love when I’m able to sneak in an extra serving of veggies in there. I also liked that this meal was paleo-style, half of the time when I make a burger or a sausage at home, I don’t use a bun anyway and if this meal would have come with one, my bets are that it would have been a bit soggy by the time I ate it. Cauliflower seems to be a new super food and I was happy that it was included in this meal. If you haven’t yet, you need to check out one of the recipes online about how to make a pizza crust with cauliflower!
Overall I was happy with the two dishes I tried from CJK. The great thing is that there are a TON of choices on their website so you can really find one that is tailored to your taste.
Meal Plan: 3 or 5 meals per week, flexible, as many as you want/need, precooked. Great for the busy professional who's interested in eating healthy, well-thought out chef-inspired meals at home or on the go.
- New Mexico Paleo Turkey Burger: Pasture Raised Turkey stuffed with Organic Baby Spinach, Organic Kale, topped with Bacon, Sautéed Energy Packed Greens and Spices served with Almond Crusted Cauliflower and a side of Guacamole
- Shrimp Arrabbiata with Zucchini Noodles: Shrimp Marinated in Anti-Inflammatory Herbs and Sautéed in a Mildly Spiced Organic Tomato Arrabbiata sauce, and served over Organic Zucchini Noodles and Local Roasted Asparagus
- Paleo Lemongrass Chicken Thighs: Pasture-Raised Chicken Thighs marinated in Lemongrass Coconut Broth and served with Organic Thai Vegetables, and Curry-Roasted Organic Sweet Potatoes
- Veggie Saute with Molcajete Salsa: Mexican Spiced Organic Quinoa and Local Organic Black Beans with our Organic Fajita Blend Veggies, Roasted Organic Portobello Mushrooms and served with Alberto's mild Salsa de Molcajete
- Paleo Sweet Potato Waffle Sandwich: Housemade Paleo Waffles, 2 Poached Pasture-Raised Eggs, Maple Glazed Bacon from Gunthorp Farms, and a side of pickled vegetables
Plate Size: Medium $12; Large $15
Pickup: CJK Hub $3