Why do these mass shootings continue to occur in this country week after week? Here is my list of reasons. Nothing will get better until there is a radical change in this country.
1. Too many guns.
2. Too many mentally ill people with access to guns.
3. Too many mental health programs being slashed and even decimated.
4. Too much corporate greed with large corporations finding tax loopholes that allow them to pay little or no tax.
5. Too much disparity in pay between the CEO of large corporations and everybody else in the company.
6. Too many disenfranchised people who feel hopeless and powerless.
7. Too many angry people who join gangs to feel part of a community.
8. Too many people being incarcerated, especially people of color, often for non-violent crimes.
9. Too much harsh punishment and not enough rehabilitation in US prisons.
10. Too much money spent on the military and not enough on social services.
Were you aware of the fact that Switzerland has one of the highest gun ownership rates in the world, yet they have far fewer gun deaths than in the US? In 2014, there were 173 attempted and completed homicides of which 18 involved firearms. Their murder rate was 0.49 per 100,000 population. In the US, it is 10.4 per 100,000. So, what does this tell us? To those who claim that it is not guns who kill people but people (with guns) who kill people. True, enough. What do these statistics tell us?
We want services but we don't want to pay for them. We believe our politicians who tell us that they will cut taxes, but they fail to mention how doing so will affect said services. When the richest people and corporations pay the least amount of taxes, where will this money come from? As far as I know, it does not grow on trees.
There is no safety net in this country for the people who need it the most. We are the wealthiest country on the planet with one of the largest homeless populations. There is a huge disparity between the richest and the poorest people. This causes a lot of resentment...and with good reason. Arm those people and what you get is weekly mass shootings. Many of the shooters in the past have been ordinary people who lost their jobs due to downsizing and had nowhere to turn. Millions of people live paycheck to paycheck. This is not a "civilized society" in my book.
I would love to hear your comments. Why do you think there is so much gun violence? Do you think there should be more gun control in the US?
I've written a series of posts about medical marijuana. If you want to read more you can click on the "Medical Marijuana" tag at the top of my page.
If you want to get more involved in helping Illinois move forward...and boy, do we need help, here...there are resources and links to groups on the Americans for Safe Acess-Illinois page that are doing just that. Americans for Safe Access is a national program, so if you are not an Illinoisian, check out a chapter in your state.
If you enjoy my rantings and ravings and don't want to miss a single new post, please sign up for a subscription. It's really easy. Here's how...
Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.