Skating On Thin Ice

It all started so innocently with ice skates and Takis, of course. My 12 year old son, E, whom we now think is atypically Autistic, had a field trip the next week to an ice skating rink and his feet had grown, so he needed bigger skates. He has severe sensory integration dysfunction, so he hates the way the rental skates feel.
You probably don't know what Takis are unless you are a tween or the parent of a tween. They are a corn chip snack with the added "goodness" of several different types of food coloring and lots of yummy preservatives. E has had a food coloring sensitivity all his life; he eats it and then he goes berserk. Lately, he's tried to convince us that he doesn't have a problem with food coloring. Now we know he still does and so does he.
We arrived at Play It Again Sports with last year's, too small, Size 7 Hockey skates. They measured his feet and then told us that they were the right size for him even though he told us his left big toe was hitting the top of the skate and was uncomfortable. His left foot is his "big foot" and is significantly bigger than his right which causes problems in choosing any type of footwear. We left the store with the same pair of skates, got out into the parking lot where he went berserk. Thank you so very much Takis manufacturers!!!!
He starting having a tantrum, first tried to rip off the car's electric wing mirror, screaming that he wasn't going on the field trip and demanding to go home. We tried to get him to go back into the store to try on bigger skates, but he refused, repeating that "they" told him they were the right size. All reasoning with him was useless.
When he got in the car, he pulled out the headrest which had 2 long metal spikes and was using it as a weapon, he tried to rip off my rearview mirror and at one point, my husband, Martin, was restraining him. Then he began trying to break the car passenger side window with his hand. I knew there was a hospital with a psych ward nearby but I couldn't quite remember where it was and so after failing to find it, I drove home. E continued to be aggressive, so I called 911 and 2 police officers came, handcuffed him because he started swearing at them and took him to the hospital that I failed to find.
The next 7 hours were the most nightmarish in my life. All 3 of us spent all that time with nothing to do, essentially held prsioner, in a tiny, gray, windowless room, waiting for a healthcare professional to evaluate E for hospitalization. I'll spare you the details of all the misinformation we were given and how badly we were treated. We arrived at 1:30pm and at 8:30pm, after we thought we were finally getting out of there and taking him to a different hospital, we were told that we had insurance problems and they wouldn' take him. At that point, we decided to leave with E and go home. As we were trying to leave the locked ward, we were told we couldn't leave until a doctor that we never met cleared us to leave. Essentially, they would hold us against our will, if need be. It was surreal!!! Thankfully, we were cleared to leave within 5 minutes and we all ran out of there, gulping the fresh air. Now, I have had a glimpse of what it feels like to be imprisoned.
The upshot of all of this? 2 days later, with great trepidation, we all returned to the same store. We found 3 pairs of skates in the next size (thank God!), E tried them on and was happy with 1 pair. By the time we traded in the old skates and bought the new ones, it only cost $7.98. He went on his skating field trip 2 days later. When I picked him up, afterwards, I asked him how the skating went. He very quietly told me that his skates were too big, he ended up using the rental skates and could we go back and get the smaller skates. I didn't say a word.

Leave a comment