It's been an intense last few months, hasn't it? It seems that everyday, there's something new in the news to be outraged about, whether it's something "HE" is doing, or another senseless shooting or more that we're losing: insurance, rights...the list seemingly never ends these days. It's easy to fall into a rabbit hole of reading posts or tweets and feeling worse and worse about the world around us at times. But there IS good in the world and in each of our lives, and happiness IS a choice. My friend Martin has a blog that he updates daily called The 2017 Happiness Project. As I've mentioned in a previous blog, I'm not all that good at routine, or doing something every single day, so it's hard for me to do something like that, but it's definitely easy enough to find things daily that make me happy.
So here's a post to remind us all (first, myself!) all the things that are around us to be happy about. We've had a string of absolutely beautiful perfect weather days here in Chicago and that always puts me in a good mood. Besides being able to walk outside with no jacket and my favorite shorts to spend time with my pup sitting in the sun, here are ten more things I'm happy about today.
- I've recently discovered how much I love gardening. I've definitely picked this up from my mom, who has won awards for HER garden, and I'm happy to be able to plant flowers and vegetables and have new sprouts to water each day.
- For two weeks straight now, I've FINALLY been consistently blogging! After having a blog for so many years and watching it just sit there for months, I'm back to excitedly finding new ideas to write about and love getting to chat with people as they leave comments.
- My new obsession at Starbucks - a venti skinny caramel macchiato.
- My little Desi is healthy and about to turn 13. I'm so grateful that he's as healthy as he is and LOVE when people are surprised to hear his age.
- A job that I'm excited about each day. It's been a VERY long time since I've been able to feel this way.
- My parents. They're truly the best people in the entire world.
- Farmers Markets.
- Festival Season in Chicago.
- My BBQ grill. I always have loved cooking and baking, but I can't go more than two days without making something on my grill in the spring and summer. It's fast and SUPER easy to make a healthy meal on the grill. There's also something a bit zen of sitting and watching your food cook, no?
- The ability to find small, simple things to be happy about. That's what it's all about really, right?
What are some things YOU are happy about today? Tweet me @lucyrk78 or let me know in the comments!
Tags: blog, blogger, blogging, Chicago, Chicago Now, Chicago Tribune, Chicagogrammers, Chicagoland, ChicagoNow, Desi, family, Farmers Market, gardening, goals, happiness, happy, health, healthier, healthy, Lifestyle, lifestyle blog, lucy Rendler Kaplan, marketing, mental health, Spring, summer, thoughts, twitter, Windy City Bloggers